RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older dog that has gotton a little sloppy on the memory birds. He takes a good line about three quarters of the way and then gets a little fuzzy and est. a hunt sometimes in the area of the fall and sometimes not. I know he is capable of doing these types of marks with not much problem I think that part of the problem is he has been running a lot of setups geared towards younger dogs as I have been running a lot of younger dogs lately Is there something I can do to sharpen up his memory birds? Should I shorten them up? run as singles first ? or run the memory bird as a single first?

·
Registered
918 Posts
If he is hunting short, I'd be tempted to run some nice LONG singles with him.

Good Luck

Kris
Blacktail Labradors

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
not to hijack but would like some answers on one of the first questons.
why not sometimes if your dog is having trouble on long memory in doubles can you not run the long mark as go bird and short bird as memory while teaching doubles until they know to come in and look out torward the next bird to be sent on. I have had some small issues with my dog also just locking in on short bird and not wanting to look long at first.He is just now learning doubles and has run some doubles of 125-175 wih no problems but every now and then he stumbles.He is just a pup though.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
sounds like the dog is bored. after you run the young dogs, back up and tighten the setup. make sure your new line still engages the factors or better, adds more. exposed gunners,run as singles. handle if he gets sloppy or use gun help, but make him do it right. or, bring him up and do a blind first. keep him guessing and interested.

this dog sounds like he needs more work, to me.-paul

G

·
when's the last time he had a CERF exam? I ask because this is an odd thing for an older dog UNLESS he's been hunting a bunch or running a lot of short stuff... for example... after hunting season, some of my dogs will be thinking shorter and it takes them a few weeks to get it back together. usually not a big deal.

It's an odd problem for an older dog IF he's never had the problem before.

I'd first rule out eye issues -- does he do just fine on the longer marks as singles? Does he seem to be getting caught in dragback or distracted?

-K

1 - 5 of 5 Posts