RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, members. New here and trying to read as much as possible.

I've got a lab from Bayou Labradors that will be coming home towards the end of October. I'm very interested in Bill Hillmann's DvD series to start. Money is tight, so I do not have the option of a formal training camp for the dog.

This will be my first season of hunting birds. I've never gone with anyone before and would really like to find someone to teach me the ropes. I have access to a shotgun (ported 28" rem 870) and will follow your guidance on proper attire. I'd like to get a good handle on what I'm doing this year before I complicate things next year by adding a dog to the mix.

I'm an avid shooter, fisher, and have gone hunting before, but never waterfowl. Please let me know if there are any local members to me that wouldn't mind me tagging along. I appreciate it. Thank you.

Also, I can travel within a 3-hour radius to hunt. Prefer Florida or Louisiana as I have dual residency there and the licenses will be cheaper.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Hello, members. New here and trying to read as much as possible.

I've got a lab from Bayou Labradors that will be coming home towards the end of October. I'm very interested in Bill Hillmann's DvD series to start. Money is tight, so I do not have the option of a formal training camp for the dog.

This will be my first season of hunting birds. I've never gone with anyone before and would really like to find someone to teach me the ropes. I have access to a shotgun (ported 28" rem 870) and will follow your guidance on proper attire. I'd like to get a good handle on what I'm doing this year before I complicate things next year by adding a dog to the mix.

I'm an avid shooter, fisher, and have gone hunting before, but never waterfowl. Please let me know if there are any local members to me that wouldn't mind me tagging along. I appreciate it. Thank you.

Also, I can travel within a 3-hour radius to hunt. Prefer Florida or Louisiana as I have dual residency there and the licenses will be cheaper.
Get with Mickey or Karen Klotthor on this board and find out the next Ponchartrain HRC training day in the Spillway at Norco. You will meet lots of nice duck hunting/dog folks there.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I Live in Slidell. What part are you in. I am in the old Cross Gates Subdiv. I am not familar with Bayou Labradors. Come out and join the local retriever club, Pontchartrain HRC. We train once a month as a group in the Bonnet Carre Spillway in Norco, but have several members that live in Slidell or near there. Pm me and I will give you my phone number if you want to talk. My husband is the hunter, I like to but do not get much chance any more to duck hunt.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I Live in Slidell. What part are you in. I am in the old Cross Gates Subdiv. I am not familar with Bayou Labradors. Come out and join the local retriever club, Pontchartrain HRC. We train once a month as a group in the Bonnet Carre Spillway in Norco, but have several members that live in Slidell or near there. Pm me and I will give you my phone number if you want to talk. My husband is the hunter, I like to but do not get much chance any more to duck hunt.
I always forget the name of out sub division. It's on W. Queens, though. Sounds great. I didn't know there was a club around here. When do you guys meet?

bayoulabradors.com is the website. Fell in love with Chopper as soon as I saw him. Hopefully I bring myself up enough to bring out the potential of the pup when the time comes.

Note: not enough posts to PM yet.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Bart Posey is an excellent trainer and lives just north of Slidell at Carriere. He has excellent grounds and would welcome an interested dog owner to help along to way. Give him a call (601) 916-0259

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
If you are looking to pay someone to train your dog, Cleo is correct, I would highly recommend Bart Posey at Wonderlab Kennels. Email me at [email protected]. Also Pontchartrain Hunting Retriever Club has a Face Book page that you can visit.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Karen, most pro trainers will welcome someone who wants to learn to come and help throw birds and in turn they will have the opportunity to learn how to train their dogs. Being dependable and willing to help is always welcome. I learned by being Ed Wetherbee's bird girl every day at 4 PM when I got off work. Ed was an excellent trainer and pro like Bart and that is why I suggested him. By the way, Ed owned NCFC FC AFC Overland Express (Jake). I was so lucky to know and be his friend.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Karen, most pro trainers will welcome someone who wants to learn to come and help throw birds and in turn they will have the opportunity to learn how to train their dogs. Being dependable and willing to help is always welcome. I learned by being Ed Wetherbee's bird girl every day at 4 PM when I got off work. Ed was an excellent trainer and pro like Bart and that is why I suggested him. By the way, Ed owned NCFC FC AFC Overland Express (Jake). I was so lucky to know and be his friend.
I'd be happy to throw some birds for some help. I work and have class during the week and my wife works on the weekends, but I'll at least contact him and see if there is something we can work out at some point.

Karen, I'll shoot you an email soon and I'll be sure to visit the FB page for PHRC.

I appreciate all the friendly help and advice, guys/gals!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Thanks Mark, you must have been typing the same time as me. How is Ellie Mae doing and is the pup driving her nuts.
She is recovering from her spay operation that turned into a bigger deal than Dr. John expected. I am so glad now we did not try to breed her last time. Calvin and the puppy do kung fu theatre with each other all the time. Ellie Mae is fine with the puppy unless Tipsy tries to steal her chews. EMD sits and laughs when we are working on sit/heel stuff with the puppy. Its like she is saying "Stoooopid puppy. I already know all that. I am cool! You are a twerp." Its never a dull second right now. :)

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Didley, I am located about 2.5 hrs west of you and might possibly have an opening during our big duck season.
Shoot me a pm when you can and maybe we can work something out for November.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Didley,
I was born and raised in Slidell (Lake Village Neighborhood)but have been in SWLA for the last 6 years. I train in Slidell when I'm back visiting and hunt out that way a good bit during duck season. Where do you plan on starting your duck hunting at? Do you have a lease or planning to hunt public? Plenty of opportunities out that way!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Didley,
You are in the heart of one of the best areas in the country for dog training.

There are three local clubs you can take a look at:

Pontchartrain HRC is based out of New Orleans and the Northshore. They are a dual AKC/HRC hunt test club and primarily train and put on tests in the Bonne Carre spillway. Karen has already responded to this thread, and that's who I would talk to for advice regarding PHRC. Karen and her husband Mickey are two of my favorite people, so I certainly would recommend getting in touch with them.

There is also Amite River HRC. This is a club based in Baton Rouge. HRC club only. Very strong club that has put on two Grand hunts.

South Louisiana RC is a field trial club with members from all over South Louisiana. Also a strong club that puts on field trials in the Spillway. We also meet regularly for training.

For you, I would recommend PHRC. Talk to Karen and Mickey and they can set you up.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Didley,
I was born and raised in Slidell (Lake Village Neighborhood)but have been in SWLA for the last 6 years. I train in Slidell when I'm back visiting and hunt out that way a good bit during duck season. Where do you plan on starting your duck hunting at? Do you have a lease or planning to hunt public? Plenty of opportunities out that way!
Where did you train in Slidell.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts