RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you rather have a pup by merlyn or Ali? I have heard both of these studs names used several times lately. This is just a question and not for my breeding. I actually have a non titled male at the top of my list, but am curious about these two.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Ali has an awesome pedigree that I love. He unfortunately is an EIC carrier so I'm going to use his untitled brother who is clear and is on Mark's truck.

It's unfortunate for me that he's a carrier because the majority of my bitches are too. If they weren't I'd use him in a heart beat.

Angie

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Do you worry about using an untitled stud as far as placing pups? I am not worried about it but wonder what others think
Absolutely not...

But that's me. :cool: I always place my puppies rather quickly. Being in the *loop* helps.

Angie

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I'm hoping that Ali's bro titles, and proves to be as consistent as Ali. I have a nice bitch that would go well, but EIC is pending. I love that Cosmo stuff!!!
With the right bitch, I'd go to Ali at the drop of a hat. Great looking AND talented!!!

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Would you rather have a pup by merlyn or Ali? I have heard both of these studs names used several times lately. This is just a question and not for my breeding. I actually have a non titled male at the top of my list, but am curious about these two.
Ali, Ali, Ali, & Ali. I'd be more apt to go to Fen than Merlyn, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Ali is just a drive away. If Merlyn were close it'd be a tough decision. Actually, Merlyn really has not established himself as a 'legit' stud just yet, though he has a fantastic pedigree. Seems like "no name" occasional breeders like myself (only been involved in the breeding of 2 bitches) usually have to go with either "proven" or "taste of the month" sires in order to place pups in competitive homes. Believe me, I'm no breeding expert. Just know what I'd like to own myself.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm hoping that Ali's bro titles, and proves to be as consistent as Ali. I have a nice bitch that would go well, but EIC is pending. I love that Cosmo stuff!!!
With the right bitch, I'd go to Ali at the drop of a hat. Great looking AND talented!!!
I Love the Cosmo stuff to!!!!!! I have a young gun Cosmo son VERY HOT!!!
Dave Hare

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Fen over Merlyn because of what Fen has produced?

What am I missing? Both sires' litters are all fairly young. Neither has any titled offspring yet.

Charles, what exactly do you mean by "produced more in fewer breedings"

Fen has 14 breedings...Merlyn has 12.

Most of Merlyn's pups are too young to know yet....need to watch Stephen Ritters Miah x Merlyn breeding. And Charles Bearden's Merlyn x Kelsey will be interesting to watch though there were only 3 pups (w/ Charles keeping all of them)

An important thing to remember, that Merlyn is owned by the Patopeas. They are in a spot given their client relationships where they are not actively promoting Merlyn with other dogs (namely Pirate) on their truck who are getting alot of breedings. Merlyn also doesn't run as many trials as once he's qualified, they back off to give their client dogs a better chance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a Merlyn pup that will be 5 mos. old out of Mark Menzies:D "PC" bitch. Smartest dog I have ever owned and LOOOOOOVES to retrieve. Marks beyond her age. Probably TOO hot for her age at this point. Hope it continues. Downside is she is quite vocal but working on this. Great Breeding.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Some people play for derby points and some focus making all-age dogs. I know which one I want.

Only time will tell on which dogs are better all-age players.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts