RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I went to Bowling Green Kentucky to shop and eat tonight and I came across an old man at Gander Mountain. He had what you could tell was an old blk lab sitting in the cab of his truck that I could see as we were walking out at the same time. I told him I just got a new pup and was working on making her a duck dog. He said his dog had hunted with him for over 16yrs. I asked him 16yrs and he said yes. Now the dog was grey bearded but did not look to be that old and I asked him where he hunted and he said he had about half a dozen ponds in Allen county that gave up several ducks and geese a yr near no matter what the weather and hunted Barren River off an on. I asked him what he fed his dog and he said purina dog chow and KFC livers on Sunday. I wished him luck and wish I had gotten more info off him but he did say he hoped to get another season out of his best friend.

16yrs? How common is that? I guessed the man in his late 60's early 70's. It gave me hope!...lol...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone know what the oldest dog owned here is?

I lost my Sam a couple years ago when his stomach turned and he was 12.

The man I spoke with had a still working lab at 16.

Anyone one here had a working dog that long or close?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
My Spring was 2 months short of 16 when I lost him last Dec. His Dad was 14. Both field trial dogs.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My oldest lab had a stroke one month shy of being 15 yrs old. He wasn't working any more, but he bugged my husband several hours before it happened to take him for a walk. They went around a short block, not a long one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I had asked him if he kept his dog inside or out. I am sure its just good genes but I was impressed. And he fed dog chow all those years. I looked on the net and found some dogs over 17 and a GR that passed at 19 and a half.

·
Registered
9,767 Posts
16yrs? How common is that? I guessed the man in his late 60's early 70's. It gave me hope!...lol...
So are you hopeful to live until 70 or to have a 16 year old hunting dog? The former is far more likely than the latter but if you and the dog both attain those ages the dog will be the oldest by far.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Our first lab was 15 1/2 when we lost her, pretty naturally. However opening day pheasant season was 4 days before her 15th birthday, she had not missed it since her first birthday. My husband and I hemmed and hawwed about taking her. She was mostly blind, deaf as they could come, and definitely slower in step. We figured taking her might kill her but leaving her home could do that too. So he took her. She had a WONDERFUL day, AND even put up a pheasant!!!! We lost her the following April.

Old Labs RULE!!!! Thanks for sharing the story of the old man with another great lab..... obviously!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our first lab was 15 1/2 when we lost her, pretty naturally. However opening day pheasant season was 4 days before her 15th birthday, she had not missed it since her first birthday. My husband and I hemmed and hawwed about taking her. She was mostly blind, deaf as they could come, and definitely slower in step. We figured taking her might kill her but leaving her home could do that too. So he took her. She had a WONDERFUL day, AND even put up a pheasant!!!! We lost her the following April.

Old Labs RULE!!!! Thanks for sharing the story of the old man with another great lab..... obviously!

I sucked at getting his name. If anyone may know who this man is from Allen County Kentucky please let me know. I wish we had exchanged numbers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Probably better for you after referring to him as "an old man" when you knew nothing about him or his dog, probably not the best way to initiate a dialog with him
You got me there. I should have refereed to him as seasoned.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The two oldest yet still hunting dogs I know of are my Aunt and Uncles old black Lab "Blackie" he came with their farm when the bought it. Blackie was a big lab, and he was old when I first remember him. He wouldn't eat dog food unless it was very dire, he hunted for himself, he lived off of ground hogs and racoons, in fact he used his food bowl as **** bait. I know it sounds crazy, but idoubt they went through a bag of food a year. He wasn't a "hunting" dog, but he did hunt for his living and when he died he was 20 or 21, found him gone in the driveway one morning. The next was a Black and Tan **** hound female, she was a coyote hound and lived outside yr round until she was 14, then she started living in the garage behind the woodstove. She passed away at 16 yrs old and she "ran" coyotes up til her last winter, her owner would put her on a fresh track in the snow where he had a good field of view in case the coyote doubled back on her, she'd bawl, walk a few dozen feet, stop and bawl again, he'd let her "run" it across the concession then put her in the truck and go home so she could sleep for a couple days.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The two oldest yet still hunting dogs I know of are my Aunt and Uncles old black Lab "Blackie" he came with their farm when the bought it. Blackie was a big lab, and he was old when I first remember him. He wouldn't eat dog food unless it was very dire, he hunted for himself, he lived off of ground hogs and racoons, in fact he used his food bowl as **** bait. I know it sounds crazy, but idoubt they went through a bag of food a year. He wasn't a "hunting" dog, but he did hunt for his living and when he died he was 20 or 21, found him gone in the driveway one morning. The next was a Black and Tan **** hound female, she was a coyote hound and lived outside yr round until she was 14, then she started living in the garage behind the woodstove. She passed away at 16 yrs old and she "ran" coyotes up til her last winter, her owner would put her on a fresh track in the snow where he had a good field of view in case the coyote doubled back on her, she'd bawl, walk a few dozen feet, stop and bawl again, he'd let her "run" it across the concession then put her in the truck and go home so she could sleep for a couple days.
Reminds me of a friend who raises **** dogs on nothing but scraps. His dogs go for several K's when he sells them.

·
Registered
9,767 Posts
You got me there. I should have refereed to him as seasoned.
Perhaps referring to him as a man with a 16 year old dog would have been sufficient, you might be surprised to know that many people in their 60s and 70s do not consider themselves to be "old" !

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
The wife and I went to Bowling Green Kentucky to shop and eat tonight and I came across an old man at Gander Mountain. He had what you could tell was an old blk lab sitting in the cab of his truck that I could see as we were walking out at the same time. I told him I just got a new pup and was working on making her a duck dog. He said his dog had hunted with him for over 16yrs. I asked him 16yrs and he said yes. Now the dog was grey bearded but did not look to be that old and I asked him where he hunted and he said he had about half a dozen ponds in Allen county that gave up several ducks and geese a yr near no matter what the weather and hunted Barren River off an on. I asked him what he fed his dog and he said purina dog chow and KFC livers on Sunday. I wished him luck and wish I had gotten more info off him but he did say he hoped to get another season out of his best friend.

My grandparents had to put a lab down at 17. My Aunt had her son and lost him at 16 due a afreak accident. A car went out of control and smashed thru their fence and the fence and car killed the dog who was in theis yard.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Perhaps referring to him as a man with a 16 year old dog would have been sufficient, you might be surprised to know that many people in their 60s and 70s do not consider themselves to be "old" !
Thank you Dr. Ed! I'll visit my 89 year old mother tomorrow. She does not consider herself "old" as well.

JDogger

1 - 20 of 33 Posts