RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What a treat! Met Mark from Tracy, and a very nice, experienced gal from the area. My plan was to to be a bumper boy and learn. I did learn! Watched Mark run his lab and the pup brought all the bumpers back.

This gal I met knows her stuff! I watched her Golden nail a couple of retrieves with suction, over land and water on a straight line. Very cool--very impressive:)

But, I was most impressed with her cordial demeanor. She encouraged me to let Briar out and and see if he can retrieve. I was intimidated, and it was a push I needed. Kept reminding her I am a hunting dawg guy! I heard nothing but positive encouragement.

I kept asking her the reason for set-ups, angles, concepts etc.., and there was always a patient explanation, despite the pouring rain.
This was the exact opposite form what I expected, and refreshing for me.

Thank's Mel, for your positive attitude, patience, and ability to teach.

G

·
What a treat! Met Mark from Tracy, and a very nice, experienced gal from the area. My plan was to to be a bumper boy and learn. I did learn! Watched Mark run his lab and the pup brought all the bumpers back.

This gal I met knows her stuff! I watched her Golden nail a couple of retrieves with suction, over land and water on a straight line. Very cool--very impressive:)

But, I was most impressed with her cordial demeanor. She encouraged me to let Briar out and and see if he can retrieve. I was intimidated, and it was a push I needed. Kept reminding her I am a hunting dawg guy! I heard nothing but positive encouragement.

I kept asking her the reason for set-ups, angles, concepts etc.., and there was always a patient explanation, despite the pouring rain.
This was the exact opposite form what I expected, and refreshing for me.

Thank's Mel, for your positive attitude, patience, and ability to teach.
:shock::shock:

Dear Mods,

Can you please immediately delete this post :!:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
G

·
;-):razz::razz:

Thanks John, it was great you could make it today. Both Briar and Peyton looked awesome. You and Mark should both be very proud of your dogs and all the work you have put into them.

I did delete that little diddy in your ps about Goldens and birds juuuuust to give you a chance in case you wanted to edit your message. I am kind hearted like that, what can I say. :cool:

I want to show you the pattern blinds we talked about soon. We have limited time with Looky while she can still work. She was starting to look a little "full" today with the buns in the oven. :)

Thanks for the kind words and it was a pleasure to meet you,

Melanie

G

·
;-):razz::razz:

Thanks John, it was great you could make it today. Both Briar and Peyton looked awesome. You and Mark should both be very proud of your dogs and all the work you have put into them.

I did delete that little diddy in your ps about Goldens and birds juuuuust to give you a chance in case you wanted to edit your message. I am kind hearted like that, what can I say. :cool:

I want to show you the pattern blinds we talked about soon. We have limited time with Looky while she can still work. She was starting to look a little "full" today with the buns in the oven. :)

Thanks for the kind words and it was a pleasure to meet you,

Melanie
OMG! MODS! Please delete THIS one. I did not write this. Someone hacked into my account. Let's please stop the madness.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
"Thank's Mel, for your positive attitude, patience, and ability to teach." - John

"Thanks for the kind words and it was a pleasure to meet you,"

Melanie

Holy crap, the Mayan calendar has to be right....

·
Registered
923 Posts
Quick! Jump on her while she's stunned!!!!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The Apocalypse must be here!!!!:D

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Thats IT!!!

Sorry Miss Foster,,, No more crush on you !!!

Just another extra polite helpful, nice, polite, liberal California hippy type!!!

Oh Well,,,, sigh!! Fun wilst it lasted!!

How bout just a bit a name callin,,, or just plain abuse for Gooser for old times sake!!

Gooser

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ok, everyone just SLOW down a little bit... Don't worry Gooser, you can still have a crush like a 7th grader. Being the third person there let me put this into perspective.

First of all John, you noticed that Melanie brought a third Golden. That was strictly so the Fluffies outnumbered the labs. ;-)

Second, I was immediately chastised for letting Peyton out to air, when we arrived, even though she had been in the truck for 1 1/2 hours. Then I would swear I heard Melanie saying something under her breath about Peyton being too clean and white to be a good retriever... :)

Melanie was only being nice to you this time, to suck you in... like one poster said, the collar conditioning and ear pinch start after the second session.:D:D

Either way, it was a fun session, and Briar did great... It was good meeting you.

How was that Melanie, just trying to help keep things in perspective.

Mark

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
here is the problem, you guys didn't ask melanie the same question three times each. if you had and then disagreed with her answer each time......then go on to justify your own answer, to your own question....every time you asked it.......then you would have come face to face with the rtf personna of MELANIE FOSTER! skeers me thinkin' bout it!!!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Actions speak louder than words! I saw action, and a genuine love for dogs. That impressed me! And, by no means heavy handed--in fact, no collar. I have trained a huntin dawg or two and I was Impressed.

Good trainer, good person. She is HONEST ( perhaps to a fault)--- I like that.

The cool thing is she introduced me to something that I was scared to do, in a very positive way. Will I Run Briar? Not likely. Perhaps the next one though. The seed has been planted.

I am not a hack-- I know meat retrievers, and I train for the swamp. But this is a different game. One admittedly, I am not willing to commit the time to. It is the epitome of training. I love watching well trained dogs run, regardless of their quarry. Good stuff. Learned a lot about what many of you do!

And, I got to wear a white coat--- How cool is that?

Although, now that I think about it, she said "just drape it over your shoulder";-)

G

·
I want to thank John and Mark for the comments on our training. I am sorry I twisted it into my usual sarcasm. It gets old around here on RTF nowadays and I guess I was trying to put a spin on it. I regret it.

SUPER great guys open to learning. I don't know about you all but it is difficult to help folks who don't want to be helped.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts