RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to build a storage building with kennels in Texas. We are being told that it will cost as much to insulate a metal building as it will to build one from wood. The building will be 50' x 60', and will be used for equipment, toys, and an indoor/outdoor kennel. We may enclose in a separate "shop" area that will be heated/cooled. What is your experience?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Don't know about the cost of stick vs. steel construction but, I can tell you that the cost of adding insulation to a metal building package is minimal. I would encourage you to insulate the entire thing even if it's just a covered area with open sides. It really cuts down on radiant heat and when it rains it's much quieter.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
What part of Texas? Weather is diverse here. Lots of difference between San Antonio and Dallas.

·
Registered
400 Posts
No termites or other wood boring bugs with metal. It doesnt cost a bunch to get it insulated either.

Russell

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What part of Texas? Weather is diverse here. Lots of difference between San Antonio and Dallas.
Fayetteville is about half way between Houston and Austin, so it does get humid.

I appreciate the advice on insulating a metal building. Is the insulation something that is sprayed on, or do you have to add structure/wood on the interior to hold fiberglass insulation? The roof will be steel regardless of whether we have a wood or steel building.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
GDG

Fayetteville?
Ever notice the Luecke Farm in Smithville, TX where he cut his name in his forest so you can see it from outerspace ?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
At the minimum You should insulate the ceiling to prevent it from sweating on humid days,which will drip everywhere. It is a thin insulation that is rolled out before metal roof is applied.As Brad B stated the insulation does come in rolls in which you can specify different R values. Also if you are going with a wooden pole barn style you can buy the white styrafoam and cut it to fit in between the perlings (wooden horizontal lumber),its pretty cost effective when done yourself,and you dont need to immediately apply wall coverings (drywall,plywood) to hold the styrafoam in place.It also helps brighten things up as far as light . Poor ******* regards.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
GDG

Fayetteville?
Ever notice the Luecke Farm in Smithville, TX where he cut his name in his forest so you can see it from outerspace ?
Saw it from a plane once. Had to Google it when I got off the plane to make sure I hadn't lost my mind.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Saw it from a plane once. Had to Google it when I got off the plane to make sure I hadn't lost my mind.
Maybe ya all down there could talk him into putting in a bunch of tech ponds spelling out his kids names. lol

Sorry to goober up your building post with gdg Anne

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Buy Steel and Buy American! www.nucorbuildingsystems.com This is what I do for a living and there has been fairly good and accurate information provided this far. You are right around the size that it may be cheaper with wood vs steel, depending on other variables such as concrete and erection, etc...

You can go to this link http://www.nucorbuildingsystems.com/findabuilder/findabuilder.htm and click on your area and you will find my counterpart that covers your area. He can give you good straight forward information on building a pre-engineered metal building.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Most of the buildings here (TX/OK border) are metal with the roll insulation. The spray on insulation is better in my opinion since it will not tear, easier to keep clean and you don't need a liner panel inside.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Anne, go with steel/iron/metal. Wood barn frame in Anderson blew over recently due to high winds 50-60 mph. Steel/iron/metal may cost more, but the restful nights should be worth it. Let us know when y'all become official Texians.!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Does anyone have a metal bldg design that includes indoor/outdoor kennel runs? Our plan is to winter in TX and summer in MN. So, do we need indoor kennels with A/C or would we be ok to go with outdoor runs that have a garage-door type closure for the colder nights/days of TX "winter"? Thank you to everyone who has provided input thus far.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Does anyone have a metal bldg design that includes indoor/outdoor kennel runs? Our plan is to winter in TX and summer in MN. So, do we need indoor kennels with A/C or would we be ok to go with outdoor runs that have a garage-door type closure for the colder nights/days of TX "winter"? Thank you to everyone who has provided input thus far.
I'd go with outdoor runs and roll the door down at night. You won't need AC "usually" in the winter time.

Angie

·
Registered
511 Posts
When I had my construction business, we did primarily metal buildings. I did an analysis and found that the metal building lost efficiency cost wise anything smaller than 30 X 60. In the long run, the metal building system is a better system. In regards to insulation, you have several options:

1. Rolled Batt insulation - These come in rolls that are 3, 4, 5, or 6' widths. There are several options of facings. Some of them can get pretty pricey. The difference in the facings is the durability. It is worth the few extra bucks to get one that is more durable (within reason). It also comes in different thicknesses. The difference in 3" and 6" in regards to pricing is MINIMAL so its worth spending the extra bucks on the additional thickness. The trade off with the thicker insulation is that some of the panels will be a bit wavy. To me, this is a small price to pay for the additional insulation value. You may also wanna consider using 6" in the roof and 3" in the walls.

2. Spray foam - This is what we used in our current kennel and have been really, really happy. It is more expensive than the batt insulation, but if you're going to condition the space, its worth the extra bucks. It does a great job at controlling vapor transfer. Like typical batt insulation, you pay more for thicker stuff. However it doesn't take near the thickness of this product as regular batts. If the building is already up, this is your only economical option to retrofit a metal building.

There are several metal building companies out there. Here are some tips:

1. Do not take ANYTHING from "The General". They are crooks, there is no such thing as a "surplus" metal building. Metal building manufacturers don't make metal buildings until they are actually ordered. They aren't in the business of making buildings and hoping people buy them. Do a google search of General Steel and Attorney General. There are TONS of lawsuits filed against them by several different states for deceptive building practices.

2. When you compare prices, (if you're buying the building direct) they need to provide you with how many pounds of steel they are providing. Obviously the more steel the better.

3. It is better to order the building through a dealer than direct - The dealers know the local codes and requirements. It gets very pricey trying to modify an existing building to meet local codes.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts