RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for a particular company/brand?

We ar elooking to build a building on the property to store our gear and toys. Building will be placed on concrete. We need recommendations!

Lainee, Flash and Bullet

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't have a recommendation, but I have negative input on one brand. A friend had a Cleary building constructed and it blew down about a month after it was finished. The builder said it was constructed to specs which is what the contract required, therefore they wouldn't do anything about it. :evil:

·
Registered
932 Posts
www.stockadebuildingsinc.com

Lainee, do yourself a favor and look at these buildings.

I've had mine 32x38 barn for 10 years now and couldn't be happier.

They're made well, and they'll design whatever you can come up with at a very reasonable price................... :wink:

·
Registered
892 Posts
FOM said:
Any recommendations for a particular company/brand?

We ar elooking to build a building on the property to store our gear and toys. Building will be placed on concrete. We need recommendations!

Lainee, Flash and Bullet
Be sure to ask what the snow loading and wind loading your particular building system was designed for. If you can get me these numbers, I can at the very least compare the snow loading for the area you are having the building placed.

·
Registered
409 Posts
We are having a barn built right now, all I can say is the quality of the building depends on the quality of the construction crew.

G

·
Lainee, Look seriously at Morton Buildings. They are wood frame structures with a 50 year warranty. The only metal in them is the roof and the sides (but you can put any siding such as wood, brick, etc that you choose). We built a 42' X 120' Morton building (5000' + SF) and built a home and 8-car garage inside. It has log siding. It is the best decision we made. It has 7 1/2" outside walls and 10' ceilings. Tim West also built a Morton building and has dog kennels in one end and an apartment for his Father-In-Law in the other end. They are very popular as horse stables since they have a nice appearance with high pitched roofs rather than the flatter roofs of metal buildings.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Nothing looks as good as a Morton Building. If you sell your property they can easily convert the building to a horse barn. I have 10 indoor outdoor runs in ours with Priefert kennels. Looks very sharp.

If the wind blows it down in the first 50 years, Morton builds it back at no cost.

They have added a new line of buildings that are not custom designed. They give you many different styles to choose from and the price is not as high. Still has the same materials but they don't have to design from the ground up and you save some cash. I think these are the Country Collection.

Good luck.

Tim

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well Morton Building is just a little too proud of their product for our taste - any other recommendations?

www.stockadebuildingsinc.com - does not have an authorized builder near where we want to build.

FOM

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lainee , what part of the country are you wanting to build ? I'm in the bidness , I run a sales office in north Ms. but our corp. office and plant is in Alabama . You couldn't afford the freight if you're building in Co.

Either way you go make sure you buy a building from a manufacturer , NOT just a broker . And just a sidenote , MOST of the radio spots ( general steel etc. ) and internet sites are brokers . Find a manufacturer close to where you want to build and use them . If anything goes wrong you'll have someone that can make it right for you .

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm building it here in Colorado - it is semi remote location, so I expect a little more in price cause of the extra work involved in getting the materials to the building site, but not as much as Morton quoted me :shock: talk about sticker shock. I will say the guy is redoing some things and we are leaving off all the "nice to haves," so we shall see.

In the meantime I wanted to find other recommendations so I can get prices from them, too.

I think we have figured out the builder vs. broker routine - I want a warm body to chew out when things don't go as they should :twisted: :wink:

FOM

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would like to have a Morton Bldg. but they are pricey. Did you ever consider having it stick built and putting a metal roof on it (you can put metal siding on it also) ?

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Some of the Lumber companies have pole building kits that you can buy that are very reasonable. Tim and I built 2 of ours back in Pennsylvania. They're really pretty easy. More than likely your not looking to "do it yourself", but you could hire a contractor to put the kit together for you.

Angie

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do-It-Yourself and us do not mix - it took almost a year for us to just get a kennel pad area leveled and pavers laid - not to mention the land is 1.5 hours away.....but we have considered hiring a contractor to install such an thing.

Our other problem though is finding a contractor willing to go out to the land is pretty darn far out of town.....so far all our contacts have said "thanks but no thanks" :(

FOM

·
Registered
181 Posts
Did you consider a travel trailer with storage space in the end. I saw some that had living quarters in 2/3rds and storage area with a overhead door on the other end. Looked like you could drive a couple of quads in there easily (if I remember correctly)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts