RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping with the amount of RTF'rs at this trial we might have hour by hour updates? I figured the updates early in the day would be more accurate than the ones made later at night?(RITA) Just a thought! :wink:

Aaron

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
If I recall correctly, the cell phone coverage out at Scott's ranch is spotty at best. I remember having to stand on top of a dog truck to get one "bar" of coverage with Sprint.

kg

·
Registered
389 Posts
Not a great connection on the cell phone, but these are the call backs for the 4th series of the derby in the morning.

1, 3, 5, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 21, 22, 24, 26,27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 33, 34

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Any reports on the Open?

FOM

·
Registered
33 Posts
Metro

Judges asked contestants to be there Sat morning at 7am with dog 29 to start.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Charles C. said:
Don't know the placements, but 5 dogs out of 21 did the last series in the derby.
Actually it was 6 that finished.

Mark Edwards 1st with Dealer (28 derby points)
Mary Tatum 2nd with Buddy
3rd, Avant???? Not sure. The rita machine is working fine.
4th, Sharon Gierman
RJ Me :) with NutCase (Piper) That's 3 finishes in 4 starts for the baby girl.
JAM Avant????

All challenging marks in the derby. Very tough, but fair to the pups.

Open and Am are brutal. 32 dogs in the Open picked up the chickens, at least one with a handle. 24 called back to the land blind out of 93 dogs that started. A few, including RouxBaby, picked up the birds without a handle and were not called back. :cry:

About 53 dogs have run the AM, only a handful have done it well; a total of about 10 have done it at all. It is just a double with a long retired flyer, then a short (130 yd) retired bird. No off the marks and run the blind. Marks are kicking their butts.

Starting to drizzle north of the Red River. I get to run the AM in the morning. Lucky me.

Frank

·
Registered
619 Posts
metro

Amateur call backs after the 1st series, 12 of 80 dogs:

Open dogs called back to water marks, 10 dogs:

Don't know anything about the Qual.

The dog that took third in the Derby was Tia, owned by Suzan Caire and handled by Clint Avant (clarification of an earlier post).

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Limited Results:

In the Open I know Bill S. won with Boomer and Marv B. got a RJ with Kate

In the Am Dan W. won with Bull.

Qual won by Mark E. with Mac (chessie).

That's all I know.

FOM

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
FOM said:
Limited Results:

In the Open I know Bill S. won with Boomer and Marv B. got a RJ with Kate

In the Am Dan W. won with Bull.

Qual won by Mark E. with Mac (chessie).

That's all I know.

FOM
That was one nice chessie...... When I got in tonight my husband Tim, that shot the flyer at the qual for Marks chessie, said he was really, really nice.

Angie

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Angie B said:
That was one nice chessie...... When I got in tonight my husband Tim, that shot the flyer at the qual for Marks chessie, said he was really, really nice.

Angie
I agree. I have handled him a couple times in training and he is a very smooth handling dog, not to mention he can mark - like him lots.......for a chessie ;)

FOM

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
A few, including RouxBaby, picked up the birds without a handle and were not called back. :cry:
But Frank,,, Roux Baby looked darn good if you ask me...... :wink: Sorry but my opinion didn't count........ :D

Angie

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
K G said:
Amateur call backs after the 1st series, 12 of 80 dogs:
:shock: :shock: :shock: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kg
It's called an "elimination round". Get through that and then you got to run the amateur..... :p

Angie

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Haven't seen too many "elimination rounds" where 85% of the field was lost on round one..............

But that's just me........... 8)

kg

·
Registered
61 Posts
K G said:
Haven't seen too many "elimination rounds" where 85% of the field was lost on round one..............

But that's just me........... 8)

kg
83 dog Amateur starting on Saturday morning . Hen phesants in thick bermuda grass cover . Dark at 5:30. Judges had no choice but to set up an "elimination" test.
Dont blame the judges or the club. Blame all of us owners who entered even though we could see the entry building by the hour on Entry Express and could have pulled our entries at any time up until midnite of closing. We all knew exactly what to expect in the first series and we got it!

This situation speaks favorably towards the "flexible starting day" plan as proposed by the RAC. If Metro could have changed the start to Friday after the entry became so large, the judges could have designed the kind of test they would have liked, the dogs would have eliminated themselves and all but a handfull of people who couldnt have been there on Friday would have gotten more for thier time and money.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Marv Baumer said:
This situation speaks favorably towards the "flexible starting day" plan as proposed by the RAC. If Metro could have changed the start to Friday after the entry became so large, the judges could have designed the kind of test they would have liked, the dogs would have eliminated themselves and all but a handfull of people who couldnt have been there on Friday would have gotten more for thier time and money.
I thought this was already an option. The Lake Champlain started a day earlier than planned at their August trial. I'm pretty sure that one of the Maryland clubs (Women's ?) started a day earlier than scheduled last year.

Am I incorrect?

Jeff

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Jeff, what Marv is talking about is a club having the option to change their start date for a stake based on the entry AFTER the entries have been closed. In this case, with an 80+ entry for an Amateur stake, the club could have moved the starting day to Friday with several attending caveats, but at least the "elimination round" would not (probably not) have been as extreme. Several entries would have probably have scratched and the judges would have had an extra day to use.

Don't get me wrong, Marv, but I've been in those shoes: an 83 dog Am in February with bad weather moving through. Our first/second series lasted until Sunday AM....and the last dog ran the water marks on Sunday PM in almost-unfair lighting conditions after two stops for storms with lightning.

Did that happen at Metro?

As for handlers having the option to enter/not enter by hitting the "refresh" button on their browser to check the numbers before the close, you are correct: you buys your ticket and you takes your chances. My observation was that I'd never seen an 85 % elimination after the first/second series.....and I haven't.....nor am I suggesting that anyone is to "blame."

Clarification regards,

kg

1 - 20 of 60 Posts