RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off this is just based on a sample, I am still adding more dogs. The raw data is from entry express not AKC.
This is how many entries it takes to get their FIRST 5 master passes

Sample size was 370 dogs with 5 or more master passes. the sample was taken from across the US including Alaska.
The 370 dogs required 3675 entries to get 5 passes.
This means the average dog required 9.93 entries to get 5 master passes.
Broken down by year of getting last pass:
2012 (55 dogs) 527 entries (9.58) entries to get 5 master passes (52%)
2011 (134dogs) 1383 entries (10.32) entries to get 5 master passes (48%)
2010 (52dogs) 509 entries (9.79) entries to get 5 master passes (51%)
2009 (43dogs) 443 entries (10.30) entries to get 5 master passes (48.5%)
2008 (36dogs) 334 entries (9.28) entries to get 5 master passes (53.8%)
2007 (36dogs) 336 entries (9.33) entries to get 5 master passes (53.6%)
2006 (14dogs) 143 entries (10.21) entries to get 5 master passes (49%)

Note this is an average pass rate of 50% for all dogs (to achieve 5 master passes) in the sample.

So the pass rate was higher 53.8% and 53.6% in 2008 and 2007 for dogs that achieved 5 master passes than in 2011 48% pass rate.

I only have a sample size of about 20% of the dogs from 2011 as their were 697 MH titles or about 1 in 5 dogs that got 5 master passes ending in 2011.

Those dogs with a UKC# on entry express (68 dogs) required 9.16 entries on average to get 5 master passes. (54.6% pass rate)

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
James Spencer has been producing these stats for years. In fact, the re-release of his book _Retriever Training Tests_ includes a comparison of 1994 and 2003 and includes all three levels of testing and all three standards....AKC, HRC, and NAHRA.

I also recall that a member of RFT does something similar and issues the table each Jan-Feb. Thought it was Tim West but I can't find the messages in the archives.

Eric

·
Registered
51 Posts
Also remember that some dont run at the lower levels and come to AKC after running HRC. Those dogs require 6 passes, which may have an impact on your numbers.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
James Spencer has been producing these stats for years. In fact, the re-release of his book _Retriever Training Tests_ includes a comparison of 1994 and 2003 and includes all three levels of testing and all three standards....AKC, HRC, and NAHRA.

I also recall that a member of RFT does something similar and issues the table each Jan-Feb. Thought it was Tim West but I can't find the messages in the archives.

Eric
Spencers book does not go into the detail like the stats above.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also remember that some dont run at the lower levels and come to AKC after running HRC. Those dogs require 6 passes, which may have an impact on your numbers.
If you notice I never said any dog had a title. The above numbers are just concerning getting the first five master passes, most dogs might get a title but I never looked to see if they did or not.
Also of note is the south east area had a better pass rate by a few percentage rate and the northern Midwest had a slightly worse pass rate. I wish I had kept the region of the US in my info.
On a side note does anyone know how to calculate dates in Microsoft Excel?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Number of dogs passing a Master Test means nothing considering the amount of Master Titled dogs that run.
Would be interesting to see the pass rate for non titled dogs.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are non titled dogs. these are the FIRST 5 master passes these dogs recieved.:)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here is the average age at the time these dogs got their FIRST 5 master passes.

Average age for all dogs is 4 years 66 days (4 years 2 months)

average age for dogs getting their 5th pass in:

2012 is 3 years 332 days (3 years 11 months)
2011 is 4 years 128 days (4yrs 4 months)
2010 is 4 years 4 days
2009 is 4 years 40 days
2008 is 4 years 4 days
2007 is 4 years 182 days (4 years 6 months)
2006 is 4 years 46 days

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Interesting stats. Thanks for compiling and sharing. Would be interesting to see a breed breakdown and to see the youngest age at time of 5th qualification.

I could also use a detailed financial analysis of my business, as well as some projections for income vs workload - can you do that, too?:)

Jen

·
Registered
245 Posts
So a dog getting 5 Senior passes, 5 Master passes, and an HRCH title before age 2 would be pretty good?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Does this mean my dog is exeptional, 7 for 7 last year and he was 3 yrs old? In my mind he's a pretty good hunting dog.;)

·
Registered
449 Posts
7 FOR 7 in AKC master stakes is a pretty small club. sounds like you have a nice dog.-Paul
Thanks Paul. He's pretty good. I guess ya get what ya pay for. I gave $100.00 for him. Going to the Grand next week. Now we'll see if he was worth the hundred bucks.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,839 Posts
Here is the average age at the time these dogs got their FIRST 5 master passes.

Average age for all dogs is 4 years 66 days (4 years 2 months)

average age for dogs getting their 5th pass in:

2012 is 3 years 332 days (3 years 11 months)
2011 is 4 years 128 days (4yrs 4 months)
2010 is 4 years 4 days
2009 is 4 years 40 days
2008 is 4 years 4 days
2007 is 4 years 182 days (4 years 6 months)
2006 is 4 years 46 days
I'm shocked!

I thought me and Elvis were the only team to not have a MH/HRCH by the time he was 3!!:shock:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Interesting post. I do think some dogs are simply awesome as youngsters, and are mature enough to handle the training and testing at the higher levels but was pleasantly surprised by the overall age stats. I thought I was one of the few taking our time to reach the Master level.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My dog Trouble titled and qualified for last years MN at 2yrs and 3 days. At 30months he had passed last years MN and qualified for this years. He did all of that in less than a 12 month time frame. Unfortunately I won't be able to run him this year. He passed away 4 months ago.

·
Registered
16,839 Posts
Interesting post. I do think some dogs are simply awesome as youngsters, and are mature enough to handle the training and testing at the higher levels but was pleasantly surprised by the overall age stats. I thought I was one of the few taking our time to reach the Master level.
In our case, I don't think it is the dog that has to mature........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
9.2% of dogs passed 5 straight.
one dog required 39 entries to get 5 passes.
one dog was under 2 by a couple of months
one dog was over 9

·
Registered
405 Posts
In our case, I don't think it is the dog that has to mature........:rolleyes:
Haha! It's both in our case, but I'd say lacking experience rather than lacking maturity (at least it sounds better!) :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts