RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that everyone should be aware of HomeAgain's new policy. When current supplies of chips are exhausted (I still have a few) they are instituting a new service which provides more than most dog owners want from a microchip tracking service and there will be an enrollement fee of $10 plus a $14.99 annual maintenance fee. This fee will NOT be charged for currently registered pets, but will apply to new enrollments when the new microchips are distributed.

Annual re-enrollment is $14.99 which will be automaically charged to the owner's credit card unless they specifically decline.

There are some additional things that they will require of participating veterinarians which will require additional work on our part.......more later....I'll check out AVID in the meantime

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
I have home again chips in my dogs. I did not register with them. My vet advised me to register their chip numbers with AKC's program. There is never another charge, even when updating contact information when you move.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I had heard that the $14.99 was going to be charged on an optional basis. You could still have the basic services for the one-time fee or pay the annual fee for the "premium" services. Has that changed?

Your going to the European chip will make the dogs with it implanted unrecognizable by American scanners will it not?

Eric

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eric Johnson said:
I had heard that the $14.99 was going to be charged on an optional basis. You could still have the basic services for the one-time fee or pay the annual fee for the "premium" services. Has that changed?

Your going to the European chip will make the dogs with it implanted unrecognizable by American scanners will it not?
If that is true I was given incorrect information, I will double check on that, if true I'll continue to use HomeAgain

and I used my universal reader on the new chips and it reads "ISO CHIP" only, can't get the battery into the resQ reader to see if it reads HomeAgain, I may be sending the stuff back :?

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
AVID chips have a single lifetime charge of $18.50 for tracking but charge $6 for each change in contact information. However, for multi-pet owners they charge a single fee of (I believe) $52 which covers up to eight animals. There is no charge for adding new animals as long as the total number of registrations doesn't exceed the limit.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buzz said:
I have home again chips in my dogs. I did not register with them. My vet advised me to register their chip numbers with AKC's program. There is never another charge, even when updating contact information when you move.
AKC still provides their Companion Animal Recovery Service, might be the best route regardless of the chip.

AKC Companion Animal Recovery has a chip which is read by the universal chip reader, there is a one time $12.50 registration fee

www.akccar.org

·
Registered
54 Posts
EdA said:
Buzz said:
AKC still provides their Companion Animal Recovery Service, might be the best route regardless of the chip.

AKC Companion Animal Recovery has a chip which is read by the universal chip reader, there is a one time $12.50 registration fee

www.akccar.org
This is what I have used on my 3 dogs and 3 cats, and what I have recommended to clients, so far no problems....

·
Registered
320 Posts
According to Home Again at the AAHA this week, the annual fee enables the pet to have ID cards, an emergency veterinary consult covered when lost, available online medical records, and active attempts at location including posters and phone calls to local veterinarians. If one chooses to forego the annual fee, the pet's name and information is still available in the national registry just as before. This annual fee gives the client the listed "premium" services.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
EdA said:
Eric Johnson said:

If that is true I was given incorrect information, I will double check on that, if true I'll continue to use HomeAgain

and I used my universal reader on the new chips and it reads "ISO CHIP" only, can't get the battery into the resQ reader to see if it reads HomeAgain, I may be sending the stuff back :?
What Eric said was correct, you can elect NOT to continue the "extra" service and still have the lifetime registration for no additional fee. I think eventually they will be forced to allow people to select JUST basic registration.
I still use Home again chips but most of our clients elect to use AKC registration as it is the cheapest and the most straight forward. I have personally told the company that this whole idea was stupid. Heck it is hard enough to convince people to get a chip for their pet, now we get to confuse them with variable levels of service with their registration.

According to both AKC and Home again, if someone calls with a found pet and it is not in their database they will forward the call to the other database. So they appear as if they will play nice in the sandbox.
I really liked Home again's web site much better than AKC's as you can do a lot of editing of your info. I heard AKC was changing theirs but have not checked it out yet. Of course I just got a mailing that AKC is coming out with THEIR OWN chip. Seems eveyone is trying to horn in on this business and competition is good but I fear too much confusion in the industry and will make it harder to get a pet home. That is the bottom line.
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I returned my new supply of Home Again chips to the company and purchased chips from AKC. The chips are smaller, cheaper, and lifetime registration in the AKC Companion Animal Recovery is still $12.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Can someone give me the ADHD version of this?

Are there
3 different kinds of chips?
Home Again sucks because of a new yearly fee?
Avid is ok but not many readers pick them up?
AKC is now the "standard" and most common to use?

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
achiro said:

Are there
Actually there are now 4 as Bayer has gotten into the fracas with the chip used in Europe (which they call "resQ") This chip is not read by HomeAgain or AVID chip readers.

HomeAgain made a serious marketing mistake which is going to cost them lots of business. IMHO

AKC Companion Animal Recovery is a non-profit operation for the sole purpose of permanent identification of dogs and cats.

visit www.akccar.org

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just to reiterate, Bayer's new chip is NOT the same frequency as the AVID, AKC, and Home Again chips. The attempts by Bayer and previously PetsMart to use chips on the otherwise worlwide frequency (I believe 134mhz vs 125mhz) will confuse the consumer again. Bayer's reader will read them all so if you are looking for a universal scanner, this would be the one to get. AVID and Home Again scanners will not read the new Bayer chips. What a mess!!!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
So how does AVID play into all this? Both of my dogs have AVID chips, not that the bulldog goes more than 10 yards from us or the couch...

/adding to the confusion regards

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
achiro said:

Are there
You can use any chip you want and record it in any database you want. Just because I have Home again chips does not mean I have to use their data base. I sell the chip and the registration separately but we send it in so we are sure it gets done. Before Home again created their own database all my dogs were in the AKC database, I was able to import them into Home again at no additional fee. I do not know if that is still possible.

We register most animals with AKC due to cost. Home again database is fine and you do not HAVE to do the yearly fee, after the first year you can opt out and still have lifetime registration.
AVID chip will be "found" but not read by some scannners. Then you have to get a universal scanner but the last scanner Home again gave me with their promotion last year will read AVID chips.
I addition the animals I have helped go overseas do fine with a Home again chip, it is ISO standard. So the "overseas" excuse for creating a new frequency does not hold water.

I am as frustrated as anyone, seems that the great idea for ID and return of animals has taken a back seat to making money. Even though my animals are all registered with Home again, I think I may co-register them with AKC, as I stated before they are supposed to work together when a call comes in, but for $12 each it might be worth the peace of mind.

Ed, what are the reps telling you about the databases working together??

·
Registered
320 Posts
Nate,

Just curious about the appearance of AKC chips. In our area I haven't seen these in dogs. The AVID has *123*456*789 versus Home again which is generally 10 digits and letters. We also are seeing 24 hour pet watch which appears similar to Home Again. If you are registering one chip with a different database what would lead a clinic or shelter to call that database or just assume the chip was just never registered? Now we have at least 5 databases, 4 of which have chips on the same frequency.

The Home Again rep was by today trying to switch us over and confirmed the premium versus "passive" one-time fee stated above. As for Bayer, I'm not sure what they were thinking with the change in frequency. Additionally I learned that Home Again chips ARE read by overseas scanners since they are ISO. AVID chips may or may not be depending on 9 vs 10 digits if this is any concern to anyone. It gets more confusing daily.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts