RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 month old BLM and have been going back and forth on the decision to get him a microchip. I have had **** hounds in the past that I had tatooed but never a chip. His main job is hunting but I also plan to run him in some hunt tests to see what he can do. I have heard horror stories on dogs coming up missing. Too much time & money in this investment to lose him. Looking for some for some suggestions:confused:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Hate to sound blunt ..... but if you are concerned about a lost dog why would you even question the cost of chipping your dog?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Are you planning to stud him out or any type of breeding? Chips also give an identification tool for ofa, cerf, etc.... Looks good on the records. Tats and chips do both but chips will probably get them back to you quicker if lost.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am a little surprised your breeder did not chip him. You are going to have a lot of time and money invested in the dog very quickly. Chip him!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
really... its a no-brainer.... the cost of micro-chipping is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of feeding, training, and hunting a dog.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I share a little of a different opinion about micro chipping dogs. I believe it to be some what of a superfluous step to keep track of your dog. I don't see how it would be much different than having a regular well fit collar with a name plate. I think you actually gain something by having it visible to see with the use of any special tool. Lastly, if someone wants to steal your dog they are going to no matter what type of identification the dog holds.

But, if pressed I would go with a tattoo. It is a permanent and visible ID.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I share a little of a different opinion about micro chipping dogs. I believe it to be some what of a superfluous step to keep track of your dog. I don't see how it would be much different than having a regular well fit collar with a name plate. I think you actually gain something by having it visible to see with the use of any special tool. Lastly, if someone wants to steal your dog they are going to no matter what type of identification the dog holds.

But, if pressed I would go with a tattoo. It is a permanent and visible ID.
Every vet and animal control office has one of the scanners to read the chips. Collars come off and tattoos can be altered.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Every vet and animal control office has one of the scanners to read the chips. Collars come off and tattoos can be altered.
Hell my breeder had his own reader... Chip him.

·
Registered
946 Posts
The problem with a tattoo is what numbers do you put on your dog? I have seen quite a few tattoos on dogs and none of them ever helped me contact the owner. Collars can get lost Micro chips are pretty easy to use and anyone that scans the dog can find the info of the owner.

But there is nothing that says you cannot do all 3! A collar a tat and a chip and you are pretty good. Also if you are really worried you can add a GPS collar about $100 (plus $8 a month) and you can track a missing dog with your cell phone or computer.

·
Registered
288 Posts
. But, that would take someone taking time to find out about whose dog it is in contrast to just seeing first hand for themselves. Like I said if someone wants to steal your dog when they find them they are going to do so regardless of the ID method. Don't get me wrong I think the effectiveness of tattooing versus microshipping is basically splitting hairs. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I share a little of a different opinion about micro chipping dogs. I believe it to be some what of a superfluous step to keep track of your dog. I don't see how it would be much different than having a regular well fit collar with a name plate.
So you're running a trial and for whatever reason the dog spooks, pushes up a deer, blows past the mark or blind and disappears over a hill and regardless of calling and whistling cannot be located .... no collars allowed on running dogs

·
Registered
227 Posts
A chip is a no brainer for me, my pups are chipped on their way out the door.... They cant legally leave the breeder without being ID'd and I prefer chips to tatt's. A good friend of mine runs a shelter and the first thing they do off the truck is run a scanner over them, collars can come off, my dogs from yrs ago you couldnt clearly read the Tatts, it isnt as popular with retrievers as hounds, but some sicko bleeding heart types in shelters have been known to throw away hounds collars to "safe " them from the cruel hunting owners. A chip is in there and can be traced.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Don't get me wrong I think the effectiveness of tattooing versus microshipping is basically splitting hairs.
Not really-the tattoos don't hold up, a microchip does. Long time ago we had tattoos and they faded.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I will always microchip. Agreed. One more step toward protection. Just food for thought ... I no longer am using the Avid chip on my dogs - 2 have migrated and most recently when at the vet for OFA’s on my 2 year old ... they found her chip in her ARM PIT...

Having better luck with my dogs using Res-Q and Home Again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a chipped 6 month lab. I registered the chip on the manufacturer's website (can't recall brand right now) but wonder what the de facto standard database is for registering a chip - AKC?

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I will always microchip. Agreed. One more step toward protection. Just food for thought ... I no longer am using the Avid chip on my dogs - 2 have migrated and most recently when at the vet for OFA’s on my 2 year old ... they found her chip in her ARM PIT...

Having better luck with my dogs using Res-Q and Home Again.
Did you install the chips or the vet? If you install the chip on an angle and rub it afterwards they don't migrate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts