RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who microchips their own dogs? I bought the packs from avid and they say it's not hard to insert. I have seen my vet do my other pups, but wanted to save some bucks. It's 39.00 a pup for my vet to do it, where it's 12.95 a chip if I do it. Any tips or experences would be helpful?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I considered it but decided I didn't want to mess with a 12 gauge needle. However, the vet who did vaccinations and examined the pups at six weeks did all the pups for only a nominal additional charge. It's pretty much of a two person job with one person holding the pup still during the shot since they squirm more than they do for a regular shot.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I got my dog microchipped when he was 4 years old. I have not noticed any cons, so I would do it again. Doesnt seem to bother him either...

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I buy the microchips, then have a friend who's an RN do it while I hold the dog. As a nurse, it doesn't bother her a bit, plus when I pass out she knows what to do...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I purchase the chips and my vet inserts them when I take them in for 6 week checkup. Has not charged any additional charge for doing so, but it may be due to him having to use my reader on occassion. His does not read AVID

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Does anyone use the home again?

What are the pros and cons of homeagain vs. avid?

Does avid have the yearly fee like home again does now? I just had one dog chipped with a home again, but I still have several others to chip, plus a litter of puppies in the fall.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I called around to area vets, shelters, SPCA, Citizens for Animal Protection, etc to see which they had. Some had one or the other, some had both.

You should call around in your area to see which is more popular.

;

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just got both my dogs microchipped last week. My sister works at a Vets office in Texas (I'm in MS) and she sent them to me. My Vet didn't charge anything to implant them either! But like others said...its a freaking HUGE needle lol. When the Vet put them in the dog's didn't even vocalize it went so fast. I used Home Again Microchip, costs $17.50 for a lifetime subscription for each dog. I recommend it to anyone.

Jamie

Forgot to mention.. I asked my Vet which chip was more common and he told me that most all clinics, SPCA, Dog catcher's have a scanner that will read all chips. Even if their scanner can't read the number it will let them know that the animal has a chip in them, and they can get the proper scanner to read your chip.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I don't know about the $17.50 for lifetime on homeagain. I just had to pay like $15 for the chip and then they said I had to do a $14.99 yearly fee to stay enrolled. Maybe I paid for something extra?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts