RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the total retriever training and the total retriever marking and the total e-collar training DVDs and I was wonder what order to watch them in.I'm starting will a 6 month puppy that is starting obedience thanks

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
It depends. Lardy says TRM. But I think this is because he starts out with demo on how to get puppies to retrieve. If you have already done this, then start with TRT. But balance is important. So don't just do the drills but do the marks simultaneously with the drills. So watch both. There is a shortened version of ecollar conditioning on TRT. When you get there switch to the cc dvd.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Look at the first part of the TR Marking tape and you will see how to get your pup started.

If you want to write me, I can give you more suggestions later after you look at that part.
I ran Mike's workshops for him for about 15 years, so am fairly familiar with all the DVDs and article manuals and what sequence might be most useful.
Write me at [email protected] if you have further questions. I don't look at the discussions every day.

Marilyn Fender, Windstorm Retrievers
96 NFC AFC Storms Riptide Star
2000 CNAFC CFC Quik Windstorm -- breeder and co-owner

·
Registered
484 Posts
I am reviewing TRT series now. Did not care for the start of Disc 3. I dislike training videos when they run an experienced dog. A large percent of Ams and weekend trainers do not learn from watching a dog on their third week of this and or that drill, we learn by watching the dog on their first day and seeing the mistakes that can happen and the corrections for such mistakes. Discussing what problems will or can arise is not as good as seeing the mistakes in action and what was done in real time to work thru them. Just a heads up on Disc 3 swimby with an experienced dog was a let down.
Dave

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I am reviewing TRT series now. Did not care for the start of Disc 3. I dislike training videos when they run an experienced dog. A large percent of Ams and weekend trainers do not learn from watching a dog on their third week of this and or that drill, we learn by watching the dog on their first day and seeing the mistakes that can happen and the corrections for such mistakes. Discussing what problems will or can arise is not as good as seeing the mistakes in action and what was done in real time to work thru them. Just a heads up on Disc 3 swimby with an experienced dog was a let down.
Dave
Yea, Lardy has a thing or two to learn about making training DVDs.:rolleyes:

To the OP, Mike addresses your question on the Total Retriever web site. Listen to what mike says about training. Its more than just a series of drills that take you to a finished retriever. Follow the program and you will end up with a very good dog.

Be sure to take Marilyn up on her offer. She has written many articles on retriever training so she not only knows Mike's program but she knows retriever training beyond the program. And to top it off she had a National winner in 1996 NFC-AFC STORM'S RIPTIDE STAR.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
People learn in different ways.

I like to review an entire course start to finish, maybe a couple times so I have an idea where I'm going. Then I start the studying.

JS

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yea, Lardy has a thing or two to learn about making training DVDs.:rolleyes:

To the OP, Mike addresses your question on the Total Retriever web site. Listen to what mike says about training. Its more than just a series of drills that take you to a finished retriever. Follow the program and you will end up with a very good dog.

Be sure to take Marilyn up on her offer. She has written many articles on retriever training so she not only knows Mike's program but she knows retriever training beyond the program. And to top it off she had a National winner in 1996 NFC-AFC STORM'S RIPTIDE STAR.
Definitely, Marylin knows everything about the program. Contact her with any questions.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Many six packs and falling asleep many times over and over again and it will finally all come together. After you watch them both about three times and you start to think you understand the program go to the basics and advanced seminars he puts on and you will leave knowing you still don't know anything about dog training. The man is such a expert most of us will only get the very basics of why his program works so well.
Chad

·
Registered
39 Posts
Many six packs and falling asleep many times over and over again and it will finally all come together. After you watch them both about three times and you start to think you understand the program go to the basics and advanced seminars he puts on and you will leave knowing you still don't know anything about dog training. The man is such a expert most of us will only get the very basics of why his program works so well.
Chad
What was experience like at the Lardy seminars?
Did you come away with practical experience that could be immediately applied to your training?
What other seminars have you attended?

·
Registered
871 Posts
You can't take enough notes fast enough Mike puts everything into a very practical way were even a hillbilly can understand. I don't care if you are just wanting a great hunting dog or a national finalist Mike's program and seminars are a great experience. Jim Van Engens basics seminar I have been to twice and he shows the program for young dogs that is essential in making a great competitor. Jim worked for Mike and understands the program inside and out. That is the reason dogs coming from Jim work so well when they move onto Mike's truck. Its not rocket science Jim says we are going to do marks and blinds today and tomorrow and the next day.
Chad

·
Registered
639 Posts
You can't take enough notes fast enough Mike puts everything into a very practical way were even a hillbilly can understand. I don't care if you are just wanting a great hunting dog or a national finalist Mike's program and seminars are a great experience. Jim Van Engens basics seminar I have been to twice and he shows the program for young dogs that is essential in making a great competitor. Jim worked for Mike and understands the program inside and out. That is the reason dogs coming from Jim work so well when they move onto Mike's truck. Its not rocket science Jim says we are going to do marks and blinds today and tomorrow and the next day.
Chad
First off congrats Chad! Secondly, for having both Mike and Jim in the state of Wisconsin they have not had a handlers seminar here in over two years. Jim canceled his last year and never attempted to have one this year. It is just disappointing in a state like WI with so many great trainers that we have minimal handler seminars if any to attend in the last few years. Kind of a vent but I would love to go to either one of their seminars and I was in JVE last year but it was canceled. Because you are right you can only learn so much from watching the videos.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have been to both basic and advanced Lardy seminars. They are top notch. Not only will they help you understand his program, they will let you see what high standards they have in training. Each time I attended a seminar I raised the standard I applied to my dogs and myself in training. The seminars are designed to give you the most exposure possible in 4 days and take individual dogs through each step in the program. Each dog will have issues that arise that have to be worked out and this is where the value is above what you get from the videos.

I would highly recommend the journal article cllection to compliment the videos. They help give you an overview of each step in the training program.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I own the Lardy DVD's TR Training and Marking. Is the new version much different?
It is enough different to justify purchasing for certain. I have found that my current pup, just starting CC, is either a much quicker learner than my older ones, or I am much better trainer now than 3 years ago, or I learned something new from watching Mike do FF and simple casting in the new DVD. Maybe a little of all three but I know I'm picking up things from this DVD that I don't think I got from the previous version, and this pup is progressing very well.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I'd say the new one is worth the money. Lots more step-by-step in the field, lots less preaching at the podium... The old one was good and the new one is much more gooder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts