RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Situation:

Perfectly healthy 10 m/o CLF. She's always been a very "itchy" dog even when she was a pup, she'd itch more frequently than most dogs but I noticed it most at night when we were just at home relaxing. I thought maybe she just has more sensitive/easily irritated skin, it was never excessive just more than most dogs. Her skin and coat looked fine and she didn't seem annoyed by it so I really didn't worry about it. However, over the last few weeks, her itching hasn't increased but she has suddenly become an excessive licker, she licks herself ALL the time; her front legs and paws but especially in between her back legs and her stomach. As before, there really wasn't much change in her coat/skin until the last week or so. All of a sudden her hair is beginning to thin in between her back legs, stomach and arm pits. I have noticed little excoriations scattered throughout her skin and almost petechiae-type papules to her lower belly and back legs. It's hard for me to tell if the excoriations are causing the licking or if itching caused the excoriations and the itching and licking are two unrelated things? Obviously, my guess would be that they're related. She is on Frontline flea and tick and I haven't noticed one flea and I checked her coat well the other day and they should be easier to pick out with her coat thinning. Otherwise, her coat and skin look great, full, thick and shiney on top. She has had no food changes, I have thrown out all of her bedding, my roommate also has a dog and she does not have these issues. When I noticed her itching originally, I thought maybe she just has sensitive/easily irritated skin, but now it's obviously something more than that. For all of you with so much more experience than I do, have y'all ever experienced this? I am leaning towards mites but why wouldn't my rooommates dog have it? I plan on taking her to the vet for a check but I wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts on what this might be or what a good treatment option might be? Thoughts?? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Not sure what your dog is having problems from but we once had a dog who had a problem with the indoor/outdoor carpeting. My in-laws had an airdale who was very allergic to some foods and also some hay ( or straw ). I think
you need a vet to help you sort this out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went through this same situation this winter with an older BLF. She always itched a little more than normal, the started to lick/bite at her skin. After about a week she ended up with almost no hair on her back side. The vet ran some blood test and didnt come up with anything, but said to try switching her food. We switched her food and that took care of it. A week later she was done licking herself, and her hair started to come back. Not sure if this will work for you, but it did for me.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Recent itching on the underside probably is due to something new she is in contact with on her underside like grasses or something environmental. You might try a food change to a food without corn, and add fish oil to her diet. This is all a guess but I would think the mites would have been there before.
I would also run a thyroid panel. If it goes away in the winter and comes back next spring you might try desensitization shots.

·
Registered
234 Posts
There are different types of mange. One is specific to puppies with under-developed immune systems. My friends pup just had it at 15 months old, spots of it. Vet said she should grow out of it soon.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the replies y'all! A food switch certainly doesn't hurt and I agree with the thyroid panel but I would have thought she would have shown other signs if she were hyper, but, this may just be the beginning of her thyroid level going up.
I also considered the fact that since the weather started to warm 5-6 weeks ago and we were getting more water work in, maybe there was something in the water that caused a little reaction? I train almost exclusively on public waters because that's all I really have available, I don't know if there is something put/spilled in there that might be irritating her.
To the vet we go, thanks!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
A couple of my dogs get what I call "pond itch." It happens when they swim and I do not rinse them off with clean water. The pond water drying on their skin causes itching. My doc thinks it is probably from algae or other things in the water drying on the skin and causing irritation.

Meredith

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
I have noticed little excoriations scattered throughout her skin and almost petechiae-type papules to her lower belly and back legs.
I would try a food change, but with the heat you mentioned, I am wondering if she is on the verge of a staph infection. I'd wash off her belly area with an antibacterial soap (I keep a bottle of the blue soap that vet's use to scrub up with for surgery in my dog box) rinse and dry thoroughly. If she gets a staph infection, you may end up needing an antibiotic to clear it up. Cephalexin would be my drug of choice.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I found this thread interesting as I'm actually taking my pup to the vet tomorrow morning for a bad itching/scratching problem that started a few days ago. He just turned a year old so we just switched over to an adult dog food...I hope it's just a food allergy, but we're still going to the vet in the AM just to make sure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Travis, let me know what your vet says. I won't be able to take mine in for a few days because I am on a work stretch of several back-to-back 12 hour shifts.
I hadn't thought about a possible staph coming on but that could easily happen with open skin in warm water. Something normally benign could cause some issues! I will be keeping a bottle of soap in my car from now on regardless!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts