RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you have to do to get a dog registered as a therapy dog? Maybe that isn't the right title for what I'm thinking either. I'm thinking about the dogs that you can bring into a nursing home or children's hospital to cheer up the residents/patients. Does anybody know about this kind of certification?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Not exactly sure but you might want to start with a Canine Good Citizen certification. After that I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Our local community calls them HABIT animals.

They require this of the dog (and handler :D):
Health clearances & a behavior evaluation (similar to the AKC Canine Good Citizen and Pet Partners programs). They also want to see how the dogs behave around medical equipment (wheelchairs, crutches, walkers, etc.) You also need to bath your dog prior to the visits.

There are a few meetings and apprentice visits that the owners need to attend as well.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
What do you have to do to get a dog registered as a therapy dog? Maybe that isn't the right title for what I'm thinking either. I'm thinking about the dogs that you can bring into a nursing home or children's hospital to cheer up the residents/patients. Does anybody know about this kind of certification?
erna
OK, several different issues. Depending upon where you are many private nursing homes do not require certification as they are desperate for well mannered dogs to visit.
As for hospitals most require either TDI (Therapy dogs International) certification or Delta pet partners cert. Some also require the dog pass their own internal test even with a TDI.
Here is a link to TDI. YOu can find the test requirements and a list of upcoming testing in your area.
http://www.tdi-dog.org/
TDI is basically CGC on steriods. However I will say that I have seen dogs pass the test, any well trained dog can, that would not be a good therapy dog.
Know your dog! Would the dog enjoy the work? Mine absolutely loves it and would rather do that than anything he has AKC titles in. Of course duck hunting with hubby is still his priority.
Dogs must be at least 12 months old to become TDI certified.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts

PM me your contact information and I will forward it to a person I know who has certified therapy dogs.

Chuck

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody. I found the TDI site last night. I'm really jumping the gun here, as I don't even have my pup yet (was born last Sunday). I've just always thought that if I had the right dog, I would like to brighten some people's day. We'll see what kind of dog I end up with!!!

·
Registered
952 Posts
CGC and then TDI. Then you will be a therapy dog.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Where are you located? I am from MN and have a therapy dog. We did not have to do the CDC test. I can direct you to a few people to get you started. PM me

·
Registered
256 Posts
Most of my dogs have their CGC and several of them have gone on to become TDI certified and visited both nursing homes and hospitals. One of our older labs was certified after a serious injury. He officially retired from TDI after many visits. Been a nurse 20 + years, could never come close to the instinct that our canine companions have. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We are just starting a therapy training class. It's best to get involved with an organization.... that way the visits will already be set up for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts