RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is more important,Momentary or continuous stimulation and why? I have heard different schools of thought for both. Looking to buy an e-collar and I am questioning which model of the TT pro

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I use both (momentary and continuous) depending on the situation in the field.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I use continuous for short amounts of time.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I always use continuous. Just release the button quickly if you want momentary.

·
Registered
883 Posts
At 82 I need almost continuous stimulation! Sometimes it may be necessary to ad a bit of momentary at the proper time also. When you get to 82 you will know exactlly of which I speak. Where is that smiley when I need it? Bill

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
It you follow TRT by Mike Lardy, he tells you which he uses in specific situations. As I recall, he uses continuous (a one second count) during ecollar conditioning but then switches to momentary when he forces (pile, TT and swimby). After that I would say that it depends on the situation and the dog.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
The real question is when to use them and why?

/Paul
That's the real point, as I see it. They aren't the same. Each type of stimuation has a different character; one sharp & crisp, the other pulsating. Also, 'low, medium, hi' is different on momentary & continuous.

Are you following any certain method or program?

Evan

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
At 82 I need almost continuous stimulation! Sometimes it may be necessary to ad a bit of momentary at the proper time also. When you get to 82 you will know exactlly of which I speak. Where is that smiley when I need it? Bill
Clarity is age related.

Still laughing regards, Jim

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
It you follow TRT by Mike Lardy, he tells you which he uses in specific situations. As I recall, he uses continuous (a one second count) during ecollar conditioning but then switches to momentary when he forces (pile, TT and swimby). After that I would say that it depends on the situation and the dog.
He does in the original series, but in the revised edition he does mention nicking in momentary mode.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The real question is when to use them and why?

/Paul
Is it.....(smiling) something.............to do with.............the differences and/OR results achieved .............between negative reinforcement and positive punishment?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts