RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my first dog a chocolate male out of GRHRCH Blaze MH, "Moose" is home and did real well on the car ride home (8 hours because of traffic) he slept most of the way.

played a little last night and today in the yard with a grouse or quail (not being native birds here i dont know which is which) wing on a hallmark puppy dummy he was extremely interested and pounced on it quickly. even fooled around with the phesant wing a little bit. today he actually picked up the hallmark with his mouth i was pretty excited!

going through treat training (using his kibble) now trying to get his name (leading to come) he seems to do okay unless there are distractions.

we are having a problem with eating. the breeder gave us a small bag of loyall (which i was shocked was a 31/20 blend) and ive been mixing about 50/50 with eukanuba large breed puppy. he hardly touches it. i know hes been eating in the past as he was if not the biggest almost biggest of the litter at 11.4lbs (be 7 weeks tomorrow) any tips?ive scaled it back to 75/25 mix in favor of loyall and also moistened it with a table spoon of water to help with the larger eukanuba kibble. he is being fed in his kennel and it seems like he wants out more than he wants to eat. we are lucky if he eats 3-5 bites at morning and evening.

and might i say puppies sure do like to sleep! if hes not outside playing hes sleeping

the wifes happy but its slowly slpping as he had an accident. he never wants to go when hes out. i'll stay 30 mins out there and he still wont go. i will say he has yet to go in his kennel though whichis good news. glad we opted to use the MIL's small one for potty training

·
Registered
227 Posts
Cute pup! Im sure you'll have alot of fun with him!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
he never wants to go when hes out. i'll stay 30 mins out there and he still wont go. i will say he has yet to go in his kennel though whichis good news. glad we opted to use the MIL's small one for potty training

Blake, very nice looking pup there. You may be letting him stay out too long without knowing he has to go, but it's probably pretty hard to tell him no at this point. Are you taking him out the same door each time? This seemed to help mine understand that he should go to that door when he needed to go out. I actually ended up using one door to go to the bathroom and one to go eat, so I avoided some confusion there as well. I wish I could tell you I did that on purpose.

Also, as he goes, you may want to consider using a word as almost a command. I used "bathroom" with mine (I has some better ones but they were all vetoed by my lovely wife), so that now when I he tells me he wants out I release him with "kennel, bathroom" to let him know this is a business trip. I still occasionally have to bring him back in after 30 seconds to a minute when it becomes clear he just wanted out to mess around. If he tells me he has to go, then I expect him to have to go. Of course, mine is now 15 months old, so you haven't had time to get to that point yet.

I guess it is small comfort to tell you that they all have accidents in the house. As you know, just get him out as quickly as you can once you see him in "prep mode", and when he goes outside act like it's the best thing EVER that he is peeing on grass. He'll eventually get it.

I'm sure you will hear this a lot, but enjoy this puppy stage. They don't stay in it very long at all.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info. i have been taking him out on the leash because he always wants to get in the flower garden or go back to the door. when he goes to the bathroom i take it off and give him a good boy and let him run to the door on his own. i am worried that he may associate the leash with punishment or something though.

i guess im just used to yorkies and the like my mom had. within 5 mins of eating they are going out. this guy ate last night at 7 and didnt have a poop till today at 930am. only peed once in the 3 trips outside in the middle of the night.

fed him straight loyall today with more water and he still only had 5 or 6 mouthfulls

·
Registered
102 Posts
That's a good looking pup right there!

A thought on eating: when I brought my pup home, he didn't really want to eat either; a few bites, then done. I ended up sitting with him at the food bowl (we fed him in the kitchen to start), and he would relax and eat...I chalked it up to a little anxiety with everything being new. Within a few days, he was eating by himself as long as someone was in the kitchen...a couple more days and he was eating alone.

Good luck with Moose!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
thanks for the info. i have been taking him out on the leash because he always wants to get in the flower garden or go back to the door. when he goes to the bathroom i take it off and give him a good boy and let him run to the door on his own. i am worried that he may associate the leash with punishment or something though.

i guess im just used to yorkies and the like my mom had. within 5 mins of eating they are going out. this guy ate last night at 7 and didnt have a poop till today at 930am. only peed once in the 3 trips outside in the middle of the night.

fed him straight loyall today with more water and he still only had 5 or 6 mouthfulls
I can't help with the eating issue. Only problem I've ever had with that is making sure my fingers were out of the way. :D In fact, I got a great head start on "sit" by making my dog wait to be released before attacking his food bowl.

I always took mine out on a leash, until he was collar conditioned and very reliable on the come-in whistle, because I didn't want him to get the idea that he was able to just run off. Of course, my yard is not completely fenced, and there is a very busy road nearby, so your approach may be different. Plus I didn't want to be chasing him around and calling him in the middle of the night, which I am sure my neighbors appreciated as well.

The sad thing is that you will eventually become very familiar with his schedule. I feed once a day at 6PM, and I can tell you when he will do his 2/3 poops later that night. But it took a while to get there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts