RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the various threads on the GO PRO cameras, I have decided to take the plunge. Thinking about starting with the outdoor package as I will be using the camera primarily for filming training, hunting and a maybe even a few fishing trips. Those who have used the camera ..... does this seem like the best package? Any other accessories I should consider when placing the order.

Tom

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
After reading the various threads on the GO PRO cameras, I have decided to take the plunge. Thinking about starting with the outdoor package as I will be using the camera primarily for filming training, hunting and a maybe even a few fishing trips. Those who have used the camera ..... does this seem like the best package? Any other accessories I should consider when placing the order.

Tom
This discussion probably needs to be moved to the product forum.

Having said that......If you are planning to use the head mount, the outdoor package is the way to go IMO.

Also, for what its worth, you need to buy an SD card as it is required but not included. A class 10 SD card is generally recommended for best performance. I have a 32 gig SD card but have never come close to reaching half that capacity. I transfer the files from the card to computer after each use. You can find decent deals on SD cards at Newegg or fatwallet.

I use the GoPro nearly every day. If you have any questions, I'm happy to help any way I can.

FYI there is an online forum dedicated to discussion of GoPro and other wearable cameras and accessories at
http://goprouser.freeforums.org/

·
Registered
435 Posts
You definately want to buy the anti-fog inserts! Also, if you are going to do any water work with camera attached to dog, maybe the back floatation device might be appropriate. Finally, I purchased extra mounting brackets and I have an old telescoping decoy retrieving pole that I use by attaching the pole mounting device to. That way I can shoot high angles and extremely low angles without climbing or bending.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The video of the dog duck hunting wearing a Go Pro camera was very cool. They seem to be great devices.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The video of the dog duck hunting wearing a Go Pro camera was very cool. They seem to be great devices.
The collar used in that famous video is of a poor design. I know. I bought one. The ONLY way it works reletively OK is when a dog enters directly in the water. Any running into the water or running water, the weight of the camera attached to the collar tends to slide to the side of the dog. It is best just to attach the camera to the handle of a dog vest like the Avery's Boater Dog Vest. Or, simply put a vest on the dog and put the chest harness that comes with the Outdoors kit on the dog. Attach so the camera sits on it's back. That works very well.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
You definately want to buy the anti-fog inserts!
In what situations has fog been an issue for you? I don't have the inserts and haven't had a problem (yet) ;)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Or, simply put a vest on the dog and put the chest harness that comes with the Outdoors kit on the dog.
I assume you are referring to the head or helmet strap rather than the chest harness. The chest harness is not included in the Outdoor kit.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Tom I have one and they are great! I recommend buying the camera mount so you can mount it to a tripod. Also it would be nice to have the lcd screen so you can see what your filming when you set up on the tripod. If you plan on using it in the water, they make a floaty back door for it so if you drop it, it floats.

I have a green camo silocone cover for it when I use it for hunting, it glares really bad with the normal plastic case.

·
Registered
435 Posts
In what situations has fog been an issue for you? I don't have the inserts and haven't had a problem (yet) ;)
Cold water and cool to cold days.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I assume you are referring to the head or helmet strap rather than the chest harness. The chest harness is not included in the Outdoor kit.
No. I am talking about the chest harness

·
Registered
248 Posts
I did a google search and found it. It was around 18 dollars i believe. I can post a pic tonight when I get home.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts