RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within the past week or so, A 20 year old broke through the ice on Irondequoit Bay while driving his SUV. He and his two passengers got out ok, but he's looking at a $5K towing bill. This past weekend a few snowmobilers got disoriented on Sodus bay and drove their machines into open water. All cold, but alive. lastly, a couple of friends that I work with were heading out on Braddocks Bay to do some ice fishing with their kids. They heard someone calling for help and my friiend went to check it out. On the edge by the cattails he found a hooker that someone had dropped off in an inconvenient spot and she got disoriented trying to get to some shelter. She wasn't wearing much and hypothermia was setting in. They got her into a heated hut and called 911. The emergency crews arrived and I don't think they had as much as a blanket to address the situation. They ended up dragging the hut to an accessable place on the shoreline where they could get her to some warm shelter. BE CAREFULL!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I didn't mean to be a jerk on the other thread & I'm sure those guys all are 100% sure the area is safe for their dogs, but...

...I have gone through while trying to rescue a dog & it's terrifying for both the dog & the person involved. Especially with no people around to help.

I also have the clipping at home from when my great grandfather & 2 of his sons were ice fishing in VT in the 1940s. The ice broke off into a floe & they all drowned.

I can spend hours & hours swimming, but I have a healthy respect for the lake in the winter & don't take any chances.

M

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
We have had a strange start to this winter here. No ice at all for a long time..then a thin sheet on lakes and ponds and warmup melted it or wind blew it into pieces. We were at summer camp (about 1 1/2 hours from here), still, for a day or 1/2 day puttering and the "boys" were still swimming. It was pretty cold but they were enjoying it anyway. This was at Christmas time..unheard of here...while sun was up we were wearing a sweatshirt.

There have been some deaths due to thin ice this winter. A X-Country skier went through on Rangeley Lake, Rangeley, Maine and died. He crossed to go to his camp for the weekend as he has for years in winter. Used the lake to go back and forth to town, ski on, and return to his vehicle to go home. Someone at a camp on the shore saw him skiing..then he was gone..so called for assistance. I guess he just could not get out.. :(

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Wow, "M"..that is very tragic and such a big loss for their family back then..

My post on the other thread was not meant to be insulting or questioning..I just happen to wonder if the dog had.. reason .. to want to get off that ice. Sounds like he was just being "sucked" to edge of cover..as they do on land or water during regular training season..and sure can get there quicker when running on frozen, snow packed water than when swimming!! :)

Judy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts