RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In keeping with the subject of repeating marks
Has anyone ever heard of pattern marks?
A series of twenty five or thirty periodically run marks that collectively incorporate most of the difficult concepts that one sees on a regular basis at "Tests".

It is my understanding that.......
These marks are taught first then are often repeated if the dog has trouble, and along with a set of other marks that are seldom repeated or as a stand alone, they represent a substantial part of a dogs training marks.

john

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
john fallon said:
In keeping with the subject of repeating marks
Has anyone ever heard of pattern marks?
A series of twenty five or thirty periodically run marks that collectively incorporate most of the difficult concepts that one sees on a regular basis at "Tests".
john[/quote

I don't have 25-30 set marks but I do have certain properties that lend themselves to certain concepts. When a given task is needed to be taught or revisted I will train at the place that will allow multiple setups of the concept I want.
For example, most recently we've been doing O/U converging birds such that the dog must run under the arc or thru the short to the long memory. In 1 field we set 4 different doubles using this type of placement. The next day we used a different location 3 different set ups same converence but added a 3rd bird so the converging birds were both memory. Next it's retiring 1-2 throwers adding other factors: water,ditches, reorientation,... it never ends :)
I'll run pattern concepts more so than pattern marks.

Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
what happens when a dog will run a particular concept on a pattern mark well. For instance down the shore mark. But will not do it when it's ran cold.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
nodaksnakelover said:
what happens when a dog will run a particular concept on a pattern mark well. For instance down the shore mark. But will not do it when it's ran cold.
You mean that a dog doesn't transfer a taught concept from a pattern to the field???? Well dang,,,, What are dog trainers for..... hmmmmm :?

If it was only so simple.... :wink:

Angie

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
John how did you find the time to post. You were working your ass off at the Del Bay field trial. NIce job wish I could have helped more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts