RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Do you do anything the morning of the trial to get ready to test.

  • yes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends, please specify witha post

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in hearing what "ya all" (I'm getting there), do the morning of the trial to get your "dogs game" face on?

Angie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,877 Posts
Test prep on day of test

I go to test area and watch the test dog run and get judges instructions. Both dogs that I am running now are HIGH ROLLERS and the earlier I can run the better they do. So when marshall takes running order I get as close to first as I can. Before all of this I have had my dogs out and aired and have run some cold blinds to take the EDGE off of their energy levels. I try to get at least 4 dogs between my running order so I can get dogs pup up and taken care of .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
Yes, I always to get to the area, not on the grounds, about 30minutes early.
I will find a park-school yard-vacant lot to run some singles or a couple of blinds (maybe a buzz or two :wink: ).
Most of training is done locally but trials are not so this changes the dog's routine. This exercise off site helps them blow off a little steam.
These dogs are athletes. All athletes warm-up before the game.

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,481 Posts
be careful

We also stop on the way to throw a few for them...to burn off a little. Fields adjacent to banks,strip malls ,ect........I ALWAYS walk the area to check for broken glass or hazards. These areas are prone to be trashy.Its funny how the exp.dogs know this routine and are perfect angels :twisted: during this little workout.It probably does me as much good as the dogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
890 Posts
I don't always do something but most of the time I do basically what the others do. I'll throw a few singles or maybe run a blind or two to take the edge off of them. On the marks I concentrate mostly on line manners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,637 Posts
Angie-
You said trial, but I'm guessing hunt testing applies. I air her at the motel, so when I get to the grounds she's good for a while & I can check in, etc. If we have an early # I'll stop somewhere & throw a couple of fun bumpers on the way just to let her stretch.The one thing I don't do is any real training or something we can get into a pi**ing match over.
M
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Miriam Wade said:
Angie-
You said trial, but I'm guessing hunt testing applies. I air her at the motel, so when I get to the grounds she's good for a while & I can check in, etc. If we have an early # I'll stop somewhere & throw a couple of fun bumpers on the way just to let her stretch.The one thing I don't do is any real training or something we can get into a pi**ing match over.
This is what I do also. I will also do a couple of happy bumpers when I get mine out of the vehicle and getting ready to start the procession through holding blinds. Lots of praise and fun.

I believe in warming up a dog before they run. Less chance of injury, IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,134 Posts
In the USMC we had a saying "We train like we fight and we fight like we train" good motto for a Marine,life, business and retrievers...at least it is for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,279 Posts
The night before Christmas

The night before a trial, the Dozer and I enjoy a nice bowl of speghetti. This is so we get plenty of carbs before our big workout. I read a bed time story like Rin-Tin-Tin to him as he lays in his kennel. When done with that, we discuss our game plan for the next day. Usually, Dozer decides that he will be captain and I can play if I want. He assures me that he knows whats best and he will do his best.

After I tuck the man to bed, I.....the coach........go get the edge off with a few more adult beverages. Maybe find a honky tonk to shake my edge off. Then I think I go to bed from there, I'm not quite sure though.

As the sun comes up, the coach jumps in the shower with one thought on his mind, where is my white shirt. Once that is found and taken care of, we warm up the glow plugs and take off. We are here at last, a team together as one. As I jump out the truck and let the captain out, he greets me with a big jump a small sprint to victory. After the leg lift, he thanks me with a small brown surprise........."Now I'm ready coach!" As we go to the line I whisper....."It's your world kid, I'm only living in it."
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: The night before Christmas

Ken wrote:
The night before a trial, the Dozer and I enjoy a nice bowl of speghetti. This is so we get plenty of carbs before our big workout. I read a bed time story like Rin-Tin-Tin to him as he lays in his kennel. When done with that, we discuss our game plan for the next day. Usually, Dozer decides that he will be captain and I can play if I want. He assures me that he knows whats best and he will do his best.

After I tuck the man to bed, I.....the coach........go get the edge off with a few more adult beverages. Maybe find a honky tonk to shake my edge off. Then I think I go to bed from there, I'm not quite sure though.

As the sun comes up, the coach jumps in the shower with one thought on his mind, where is my white shirt. Once that is found and taken care of, we warm up the glow plugs and take off. We are here at last, a team together as one. As I jump out the truck and let the captain out, he greets me with a big jump a small sprint to victory. After the leg lift, he thanks me with a small brown surprise........."Now I'm ready coach!" As we go to the line I whisper....."It's your world kid, I'm only living in it
Kinda figured it went something like that..... 8)

Angie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,657 Posts
I almost hit, "It depends," but since I always do something I voted yes.

I like to set up some marks and run a blind or two before the trial. I'd like to get a correction in here for line manners, but he knows the game and really, really minds his p's and q's the morning of the trial. :? If I don't take the edge off he'll be out of control by the second holding blind. I'd better do something between the 3rd and 4th series also, as he'll be high going into the water marks. I don't do to much, but want to get in some kind of reminder that he's a trained dog. Like it really matters in that last holding blind. :oops:

I've got a 7 month old puppy now and will be getting a new one in a couple of weeks. It'll be interesting to see what kind of system we work out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,064 Posts
Depending if the test/trial is local or not -but if local will stop at pattern blind field and run long PB just to warm her up and help take off the edge.

Local or not, will find a field(after checking for safety) and
will then do some walking baseball and some poor man's marks - just want to get her focused and a wee bit tired - she has more than enough energy to spare!

Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,234 Posts
wetdogs said:
I will also do a couple of happy bumpers . . . .Lots of praise and fun.
Are your dogs out of show or field lines? The reason I ask is the old adage, "With slow dogs you move fast, and with fast dogs you move slow."

For my dogs, tests/trials are work. They have to remain self-composed. They have to take it seriously or they will fail. If I through happy bumpers before a trial/test, and I loaded the atmosphere with fun and praise, it would literally guarantee failure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Mine are out of show stock. As with anything, my dogs are trained whichever way each individual dog needs to be. Some are harder, some are softer. By the time we get to a test, we've trained the best we can and for every situation we can. I believe its time for the dog to relax and remember what we trained for. Hence the praise. Gives me time to relax as well and remember why I'm there. To enjoy watching my dogs work.

As I stated, I throw some happy bumpers just for fun to warm them up. Since most clubs don't allow training on the grounds, these happy bumpers serve the purpose to warm them up properly.
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
redline said:
A BM. :lol: :lol:
Oh my God, Jan... I hope that doesn't stand for what I think it stands for!!! But, if so... I'm right there with you.

-Kristie
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
NOTHING!!!

I get up nice and early. Make sure I eat a simple breakfast, so any straggling nerves don't get the better of my morning meal (see Jan's post). I like to arrive at the grounds or airing area early enough that I can relax and let the dogs air out, wander, drink some water, relax for a little while.

I like to get to the test, if at all possible, about a 30-60 mins before so I can soak it all in, get a good parking spot, get my whistle, lanyard, etc. ready to go, put my chair in the gallery area, visit with friends, meet new folks, etc.

That's it. I don't do any training the morning of any event. On a rare occasion, I might do something little and simple, but I better have a good reason for it in my book. I would never use any pressure, or even risk having to use any pressure, in a training situation immediately preceding an event. My rule of thumb is that if there's a reason you have to train the morning of a test/trial, you shouldn't be running the test/trial -- OR you're running a week-long event where you just have to train...

-Kristie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
890 Posts
AmiableLabs said:
wetdogs said:
I will also do a couple of happy bumpers . . . .Lots of praise and fun.
Are your dogs out of show or field lines? The reason I ask is the old adage, "With slow dogs you move fast, and with fast dogs you move slow."

For my dogs, tests/trials are work. They have to remain self-composed. They have to take it seriously or they will fail. If I through happy bumpers before a trial/test, and I loaded the atmosphere with fun and praise, it would literally guarantee failure.
Ditto on that Kevin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
For my dog nothing but OB and about 3-4 BIG blinds before he runs. He needs that discipline to help keep him in control.

Reo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,279 Posts
fill me in

tell me what a BM is.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top