RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What area of training is the most difficult for YOU and YOUR dog to master?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Could be one of two here Gman.

Water work here in the north is always at a premium. No matter whether you're doing FT's or HT's, if you don't have the water that you know you'll be faced with during your testing season, it definitely puts a strain on any water work that needs to be done.
The trainer has to make a concentrated effort to move around and expose his dawg to different water layouts.

Blinds on the other hand, are special, in that the dawg and handler are working together as a team, the dawg trusting you, believing the 'hand', 'turning off his nose' to take a cast, that his senses tell him should be otherwise. And you trusting that the dawg will respond accordingly.
I believe this 'teamwork'......'trust'...takes longer to acheive........but puts a smile in the heart when accomplished.

I vote BLINDS

Ain't it a great game............ :drinking:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Well... hmmmm. Tough one.

It's hard to do the de-cheating thing without handling. Running blinds is the most or one of the most un-natural things we ask of our dogs. Ignore your nose, trust your eyes, trust me above it all. That is a tough concept for them to grasp. De-cheating is un-natural too and is a very close second or maybe even tougher task, as it seems to be endless. Who knows. But since you teach the handling stuff first, i'm voting for blinds.

I may change my mind.

GREAT poll Gerard.

Shayne

·
Registered
119 Posts
One of the hardest concepts I see for so many dogs in the short-retired mark. It is difficult to get these high octane dogs to slow down and pick up this mark when the long gun is grabbing their attention. Learning this concept is often the difference between attending and being competitive at an all-age event.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I've never done this before but -- "none of the above."

"Factors" is my answer. Teaching a dawg to stay online after a terrain change. Or keeping a line in a strong crosswind. Etc.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
AmiableLabs said:
I've never done this before but -- "none of the above."

"Factors" is my answer. Teaching a dawg to stay online after a terrain change. Or keeping a line in a strong crosswind. Etc.
G-man should have the ability to edit his post and add another option of "none of the above". This would allow you to pick your choice and be able to track the responses. If you don't pick a valid response, you don't get to see the results.

G-man, wanna add another choice for Kevin?

P.S. This "Amish" trainer selected de-cheating.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Gosh Gman,

With the "fineness" required of field trials I could choose all of them.

Dog is pretty good around the water, but seems to get that 1 extra "bite" of shoreline on angle entries.

Generally very responsive to handling, but becomes much more difficult to handle when she gets a big snootfull of fresh scent.

Guess I have to vote for blinds b/c both participants are required to be on top of their game to successfully produce a good result.

Anthony

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
water cheating,definitely. always a momentum concern,but you have to be an enforcer. what did you say about keeping all the plates in the air,chris?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I picked cheats. Being Amish just makes it harder to get those well-timed corrections, but getting the concept across is tough either way you go. De-cheating not only water, but cover, etc., is a life-long project.

Lisa

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chris,
I can't seem to edit this thing. The add option button just brings back the same poll.

Anthony,

I tried to keep it to basic simple skills that everyone could relate to.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Gerard Rozas said:
Chris,
I can't seem to edit this thing. The add option button just brings back the same poll.

Anthony,

I tried to keep it to basic simple skills that everyone could relate to.
G-Man,

thanks! I hope you don't mind that I took a crack at it. Took about 6 tries to get it. You need to type in your new option in the empty field at the bottom (if there isn't one, you click "add option"). THEN, after you type your new option in, you hit the preview button. Then, submit.

In short, to edit a poll, you must first preview your change, then click submit....WEIRD. Sorry the new option is in my words and not yours...

Hope you're OK with that, it's YOUR poll! :wink:

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Obstacles of any description. My little bas oops lovey is a microcheater. She'll take the point then cheat all the individual weeds on it and then back in the water. She is way quicker than my eye to thumb reaction time (of course that really doesn't have to be all that quick).

Bubba

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Because of geography and meteorology it's got to be water decheating. It's hard to find good places with good water and when you do find them, there's not much time in the year to work them. You kind of have to jam a year's worth of training into 6 or 7 months.

Andy

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Water cheating in the 4th series when we're doing real good or the opposite of staying in the water forevah. Finding that balance. A close 2nd are those long retired guns with the flyer guns closer.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I picked other.
For me one of the toughest things is the transition from yard to field. No problem teaching the basics of handling in yard work but it always seems when I start to transition to the field the dog just don't think the same rules apply.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think with each individual dog, my response would be different. One dog might be a chronic cheater, the next dog could have trouble remembering "memory" marks, and yet another could be a monster on the line. So they ALL would have relevancy taken each individual dog into consideration.

But OVERALL I would have to vote for "OTHER". I'm thinking "other" as in Grounds/Factor EXPOSURE. My biggest problem would be exposing the dogs to ALL it might face in any given trial. I can only do so much with the grounds I have available, and just no way I can cover EVERYTHING we might see at a trial. Really a bummer too. :cry:

You do the best you can with what you got and then hope it carries them thru when you need it. :D

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I voted other.
For me it is depth perception. Dogs, for example, can have a hard time with a bird whose arc tops the crest of hill but the bird doesn't land on the top of the hill. As handler determining depth on a long water blind or a big flat field is tough. :?
tim

·
Registered
942 Posts
Long angle entries/exits with multipule entry/exits...just having a very difficult time teaching the skill.

Good Luck!

Joe S.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts