RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What area of training is the most difficult for YOU and YOUR dog to master?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Other-Please Explain:

The multiple land or water retired guns. This is where the rubber meets the road, the true test of "MARKING". Training without the talent will only get you so far in most situations, true talent will shine like the North Star.

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
lets bump an old one:cool::cool::cool:

Most difficult for us or the dogs?
A passed on dog of mine line manners or lack there of was her thing. Yet other dogs of mine at the same time had excellent line manners so apparently I was able to teach one and not the other. Another dog, another time it was multiple marks. Finally had to admit that not all Chesapeakes are able to count to three. Same dog never cheated anything, land or water. Never knew a pile of scrub or set back of water it couldn’t plow straight through. If difficult equals amount of time and effort required. I think now it is the blind retrieve. Obedience a close second as maintenance for both is always ongoing.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I voted other.

I think taking and holding a good line through all factors.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
remembering where the bird is so I can send the dog to it ! ! !

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Other - it really depends on the dog & what they have for a hangup, some do some don't. If they have a hangup, that's going to be difficult :eek:. But there are many who would say my dogs could use a little more line manners. I prefer to do whatever it takes to leave the maximum natural talent in a dog's performance rather than having a dog that looks like a robot. Seen a few of those in my day.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I voted blinds, but I have one that has blind issues, one with line manner issues.... both have been hard to handle

·
Registered
415 Posts
Memory check down ( retired) in front of flier.

Bill

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
This is a tough call! Depends on which dog I am talking about. We all know the black dog will never be 100% sane at the line, but can do "all that other stuff" if I will just sit in the truck and wait for him.

But now, I have another who finds it amusing to learn a new skill flawlessly, and then decide to play a different game than me when he gets to a trial!

If all I had to teach 'em was multiples, retired guns, blinds, etc......that would be EASY!:cool:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.