RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spooks getting close to 6 months old and he's about to start his formal obedience. He's doing better than I could ask for. We've been stuck on walking singles for a while simply because I wanted him to get a little older, before I moved on and I wanted to get him introduced to gunfire, water, and birds. He's now getting in the lake and swimming as soon as he's out of the truck. There's no more getting in the water and luring him in. I can shoot a 12 ga. directly over his head and fire off one shot after another and it doesn't phase him. I can also throw a bumper then a bird then a bumper and he'll bring all 3 back the same without smelling the bird for 3 seconds before picking it up. This weekend I'm going to move on to multiple guns in the field. Seeing as how you need 3 helpers I won't be able to do it as often as I can walking singles. I was wondering everyone's thoughts on how often I need to work on multiple guns in the field without effecting Spook. (twice a week?, once a week?, 3 times a month?) I just don't wont to start something I'm not organized enough to finish right now.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I replicate singles off multiple guns often with walking singles. Put out 3 stickmen in a configuration you want to work on. Walk to each station & throw the bird. You can do multiplies but will have to return to the line.
Mark Land

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
You do not need 3 helpers especially for the introduction. Place 3,4,5..... whatever white coats on chairs or posts out in the field and have your 1 thrower do walking singles going from coat to coat. I personally like 5 in a "W" pattern with the marks thrown : long-short-long-short-long
People are always better but don't give up the chance to work on looking and running past short stations or not overrunning short birds because of long visible station just because you only have 1 thrower.

Tim

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I often do walking singles (usually 4 wheeler singles) with stickmen in the field to get my singles off multiple guns. I would keep everything wide open and start with only two stick men. I avoid tight configurations that may tempt a young dog to return to an old fall until the pup is a bit further along.

In advanced training we do ABCD drills with 4 gunners in the field and very tight lines with dogs running tight to the back of gunners, under arcs of throws, and tight past old falls. Sometimes having one of the guns throw a mom and pop for 5 singles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.