RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here goes. I need suggestions. Got 3 yr old female, kind of a hyper little thing (cosmo) came in heat mid December. based on when males started to be very interested - at 5 and 7 days after we noticed we did AI - however, she came back in heat about two weeks later - vet said first heat was a wolf heat ? or false heat - we then checked her and she showed to be in estrus - to improve odds AI twice close to end of estrus. At 25 days vet felt of her and said she appeared to be swollen and she had gained weight. good signs. at 45 days x-rayed and no pups. She would have been due this last week. Well, I think she's back in heat again - males are all over her. One more thing - she did not bleed during Dec. heat - bled some , very light during Jan. heat. ???? Why the multiple heats - how do I get her regular - are there vitamins or supplements I could feed to help her cycle more normally. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
we then checked her and she showed to be in estrus - to improve odds AI twice close to end of estrus.
Have you ever actually done a progesterone to determine if she actually ovulated? Don't always base the right time by interested males. I'm not convinced whatever you had was a good heat or that she ovulated. I would recommend a reproduction vet because doing an AI at 5 and 7 days after you "noticed" doesn't sound right to me. The males could be attracted to an infection, she may have cystic ovaries, or she may not have had a good heat yet. It's pretty hard to sort that out on the internet. You need to go to someone that knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Except for the breeding portion, this sounds a lot like what we went through with Tess. Irregular heats, odd bleeding, little to no bleeding, irregular pattern to heat cycles. Turned out to be an open pyometra. The Doc said her uterus was so bad that she couldn't have gotten pregnant if she had been bred every hour of every day for the entire estrus.

Have it checked out. Blood tests are the first order of business.

Where are you located? Chances are that somebody on this board will know a good vet in your region.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I would check thyroid level on this female.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Our little female had what they call a split cycle. She came in with no sign of bleeding but the dogs were very interested. She went out and came back in with blood 2 weeks later. I have a very good repro vet who checked progesterine 3 times before it was a go. She still did not take. Those split cycles are rare but they sure cause a mess when you are trying to breed. With an AI, I would not understand why your vet was not doing progesterone test. The breeding date depends on it and the price of semen is way to high to not check,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts