RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a search, and couldn't find a specific thread for this topic. I'm sure I didn't look hard enough, but what else do you expect from an Aggie?

I'm just now finishing up Lardy's third volume and was wondering what to move on to next? Y'all point me in the direction of MUST HAVE retriever training reading material.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
In what stage of training is your dog? If you are going through basics and transition, you can just re-watch the Lardy TRT DVD and re-read the RJ articles on the same topics covered. If you are in advanced training, I recommend a subscription to RetrieversONLINE. You should also order a few years of back issues. This is the single best source of information on problem solving and field training set-ups bar none.
For books, I liked Jack Gwaltney's Training and Campaigning Retrievers. I've also read D.L. Walters Training Retrievers to Handle. I liked it as well, but feel it was more of a historical perspective on how they used to train retrievers to handle.

·
Registered
580 Posts
All have mentioned some great resources. But to help understand different marks and how the dog is helped/challanged, try James Spencers's "Retriever Training Tests"

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi, I would really like to get hold of a copy of Jack Gwaltney's Training and Campaigning Retrievers, but am based in the UK. Does anybody know of anywhere that would be willing to ship a copy to UK. I have tried a couple of suppliers, but none ship to UK for some reason?

Thanks in anticipation, KM

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi, I would really like to get hold of a copy of Jack Gwaltney's Training and Campaigning Retrievers, but am based in the UK. Does anybody know of anywhere that would be willing to ship a copy to UK. I have tried a couple of suppliers, but none ship to UK for some reason?

Thanks in anticipation, KM
Try abebooks.com. You can select the destination country to see the rates. Most of the dealers there will ship to UK.

To the original poster: +1 on Gwaltney's Training and Campaiging Retrievers and Retrievers OnLine. Some of the best book money you could spend.

·
Registered
354 Posts
thanks

Try abebooks.com. You can select the destination country to see the rates. Most of the dealers there will ship to UK.

To the original poster: +1 on Gwaltney's Training and Campaiging Retrievers and Retrievers OnLine. Some of the best book money you could spend.
Many thanks, and I have already had a kind response privately too, with another lead. Have ordered that, and will probably also buy Tom Quinns The Working Retrievers too for the library.

Great site. Looking forward to contributing - albeit in a limited form, being of the UK variety of trainers!!! :)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thanks for the post. Just added Gwaltney's book to my library. Need all the help I can get! :D

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I tried a search, and couldn't find a specific thread for this topic. I'm sure I didn't look hard enough, but what else do you expect from an Aggie?

I'm just now finishing up Lardy's third volume and was wondering what to move on to next? Y'all point me in the direction of MUST HAVE retriever training reading material.

Thanks for the help.
What is "Lardy's third volume"? Are you referring to the package of short articles reprinted from Retriever Journal?

If so, that is not really a sequential program. Get the full TRT and TRM DVDs and accompanying books. Those are the courses that take you all the way. You will/should view them over and over and over.

JS

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What is "Lardy's third volume"? Are you referring to the package of short articles reprinted from Retriever Journal?

If so, that is not really a sequential program. Get the full TRT and TRM DVDs and accompanying books. Those are the courses that take you all the way. You will/should view them over and over and over.

JS
Yes, I did mean the third volume of his RJ articles.

I also have TRT and TRM, but that's not what this was about.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Try Amazon.com

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I recently had the chance to look at the Field Trial Judges Manual. It was really good at setting out a lot of the vocabulary of concepts and setups. I had no idea what a mama-papa mark was, but I do now. It even had pictures, which was good for me. Probably a good $20 investment especially for newer trainers.

·
Registered
611 Posts
No library is complete without Charles Morgan on Retrievers. You will thoroughly enjoy reading it. I saw a used one on Amazon for around $26.

Kathryn

1 - 20 of 20 Posts