RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has licked his boys raw. Vet cannot get him in for a few days, but said just to out e collar on him and use neosporin on it till he comes in.

Any other ideas to help him? I am sure it is not comfortable.

He has never had a hot spot or lick issue and has never done this before, no idea why he did it.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Doesn't burn and it's thick & greasy enough that at least some should stay on long enough to help, IMO.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't burn and it's thick & greasy enough that at least some should stay on long enough to help, IMO.
Yeh I had to look it up. I was thinking of Gold Bond lotion that burns like you know what. I will try some of that Bag Balm.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Vet cannot get him in for a few days, but said just to out e collar on him and use neosporin on it till he comes in.
Two thoughts:

(1) I would follow my vets instruction to the letter.

(2) My vet has never, ever made my dog wait "for a few days" to be seen when in discomfort. Not once.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The gold bond powder feels like there's a 1,000 little gnomes with icey hands massaging your boys.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I use a blue product called dermachlor. It's the most amazing stuff I've found for lacirations and abrasions. My dogs don't lick the area once I've applied it. within the next day the areas are dry and scabbed over.

I even use this stuff on myself.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
hey, in the summer heat sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to stay cool!!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Change Vets............
Been there done that. I actually really trust my vet. I have ventured out and tried many. Even driving hours to see them. I have never gotten a better feeling then with this vet. The practice is just usually super busy and it is a small practice. I could be seen tomorrow by the other vet at the practice, but for many reasons I cannot and will not do that.

I am gonna follow his advice and watch him closely. If anything starts to look worse or doesnt look to be healing I can always take him and wait to be seen in between appointments.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I am gonna follow his advice and watch him closely. If anything starts to look worse or doesnt look to be healing I can always take him and wait to be seen in between appointments.
Stuff like this always seems to crop up as the weekend is approaching.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stuff like this always seems to crop up as the weekend is approaching.
I actually have a better one for this stuff happening. I am starting construction on my house next week. He and my other dog were supposed to be heading to a trainer. Well now I will hold them back until his boys are good to go. Anytime I plan anything the dogs make sure they are part of it, even if they are the delaying part.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I actually have a better one for this stuff happening. I am starting construction on my house next week. He and my other dog were supposed to be heading to a trainer. Well now I will hold them back until his boys are good to go. Anytime I plan anything the dogs make sure they are part of it, even if they are the delaying part.
What I meant was that stuff like this always seems to crop up as the weekend is approaching and the only vet care available is the ER.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What I meant was that stuff like this always seems to crop up as the weekend is approaching and the only vet care available is the ER.
Oh yeh, I forgot that part lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts