1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY 3 yo was diagnosed with a partial ACL tear in his left rear leg. :cry:
TPLO surgury is recommended.

There goes my summer and fall. :cry:

Does anyone had experience with this and the recovery process?

Comments are welcome.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
lablover said:
MY 3 yo was diagnosed with a partial ACL tear in his left rear leg. :cry:
TPLO surgury is recommended.

There goes my summer and fall. :cry:

Does anyone had experience with this and the recovery process?

Comments are welcome.
Sorry to hear that surgery is needed, but grateful that it is something that can be fixed rather than something worse.

As close as you are to North Carolina, if it was my dog I would consult directly with Dr. John Sherman at VetHab and would let him select the surgeon and let VetHab do the rehabilitation. That would get you and your dog back in the game as soon as possible.

Good luck,

Jeff

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Jeff.
I have a call into Dr. Sherman now.

Good luck at Blue Ridge!!

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
My 11 month old pup had the TPLO surgery on the 15th of December last year. I rehabed her myself with walks, then swimming once I got to warmer climes.

At 8 and a half weeks post op, Feb 13 I think, I had her ex-rayed and the doc said the bone was fine and to go ahead and put her back in training. I started slowly with easy marks and pile work. Sometimes she'd seem a little painful during the first 2-3 weeks, never anything real major but some slight limping once in awhile usually at the end of a training session. A day off and some rimadyl seemed to fix it. The doc said that she'd be breaking up some scar tissue and that would be painful.

On March 30 I ran her in a derby at the Samish trial in WA. She went the whole trial and never limped or showed she had had an operation 3 and a half months earlier.

I'm not sure she'll have a long pain free career but in the short term the TPLO did it's job. She's still in training and I'm looking forward to her derby season.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Howard. I hope your dog continues to do well.

I had scheduled another appt with another orthopedic vet for a second opinion. My dog is walking and running perfectly fine right now, anthough I had not actually "trained" since late last week.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have gone through 3 of these surgeries so am pretty experienced. If you would like to PM me, I will be glad to share what I have learned. All dogs have gone on to run field trials and one got her FC.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Gwen, would you mind going into the details. I'm interested in how the dogs were at 2 years, 5 years, and 10 (I can hope) years post op.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was able to get an appt with Dr John Sherman in Raleigh, NC on 5/12.
I'll take with me the x-rays taken here and the doctors write up of what he found, and his suggestions.

My plan is to let Dr Sherman view the data, and based on what he sees, recommend a surgeon that he knows that would be best suited for the procedure. Dr Sherman will then start the rehab.

Thanks to all that commented and sent me PM's. Many were thought provoking and all were helpful. It's nice to be part of the RTF family.

Ya'll please keep Dooey in your prayers.

THANK YOU

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Hope he has a speedy and more importantly, complete recovery! From all I have heard, you are going to see one of the best.

Andy

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Good luck!!! John does a great job. If I remember correctly he can do the surgery also. I'm amazed how quick these guys bounce back compared to 5 years ago. Granted it depends on the age of the dog and how long the dog has been injured. Anyway I had a little female with a partial tear. The surgery was done in August and she got the green light to go back to work in November. The owner did the rehab...

That's fast!!!

Chin up and keep us posted.

Angie

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dooey is scheduled for surgery Wednesday, 5/16.

The folks at VETHAB, are already working Dooey on the treadmill and the water treadmill, to aclimate him to these devices, so that after surgery he will be familiar with them.

I'm nervous, scared, and worried. :cry:

Please say a prayer.

THANKS!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Pictures (graphic)

Dusty - my avatar went thru TPLO surgery on Feb 28, 2005. The Physical Theraphy is a must and do everything the vet tells you concerning this. Dusty was released 10 weeks after surgery. The exercise that helped him most - swimming. But they can't swim right away. I think Dusty could swim 4 weeks after surgery. Dusty was about 90 % after the surgery. He was such a hard runner that we decided to not run him in anymore hunt tests. Unforunately I can not tell you the long term affects of the surgery, Dusty died of hemangioscarcoma last November. He was only 8.

Here's some pictures after Dusty's surgery.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
lablover said:
Dooey is scheduled for surgery Wednesday, 5/16.

The folks at VETHAB, are already working Dooey on the treadmill and the water treadmill, to aclimate him to these devices, so that after surgery he will be familiar with them.

I'm nervous, scared, and worried. :cry:

Please say a prayer.

THANKS!
I'll be thinking of Dooey tomorrow. Who is doing the surgery?

Good idea to get him used to the equipment now, I hadn't thought of that.

I hope he has a rapid and complete recovery so you two can get back to doing what you both love to do as soon as possible.

Good luck,

Jeff

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Wishing nothing but the best for Dooey. He seemed to have a likeable personality the two times I saw him in action.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My YLM had it done a year & a half ago when he was 4 1/2. You really need to keep them under control post-op. Rehab SLOW! My guy is fine now. We'll be sending you good thoughts tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jeff,

I don't know who is doing the surgery. Dr Sherman picked him. Said if he had to have his dog worked on, this is who he would want to do the surgery. Good enough for me.

I wonder what Dooey will be thinking this time tomorrow night? I sure hope he forgives me for this.

Dave,

Thanks for the kind thoughts! He's really a very nice dog in so many ways and we are, well, were, beginning to work very well together.

G

·
surgery

He will forgive you once surgery is over and he's on the mend he will be a happy boy. Mine just had shoulder surgery last Monday he was pretty "stoned " when I picked him up on Tuesday and I have been keeping him lightly sedated but he feels so much better hardly a limp. I think its harder on us! Good Luck
Keep us posted
Cindy

1 - 20 of 82 Posts