RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dog that I keep in a 10 x 10 kennel that is chain link. My dog has learned to peel the chain link up from the bottom to get out of his pen. Any suggestions to keep him from doing this?

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Add a roof, either a shade canopy or chain link - I had one, too!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Had a very nice gwp who would climb a 6' chain link fence from time to time till I put a roof on. Didnt believe it till I saw it happen one day

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have a dog that I keep in a 10 x 10 kennel that is chain link. My dog has learned to peel the chain link up from the bottom to get out of his pen. Any suggestions to keep him from doing this?
one of my boykins used to do that. i had to put attach a piece of wood siding to the bottom.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a roof over the top of his kennel. He is pulling up the chain link from the bottom of the fence to make a small hole to climb through.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I have a roof over the top of his kennel. He is pulling up the chain link from the bottom of the fence to make a small hole to climb through.
I misread your post. Run a bottom bar and secure the chain link down.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Wire it to the bottom pole of the run. Been there done that. In and out every couple holes. Should fix it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Properly securing the bottom will help.....If its NOT DONE RIGHT you could cause more harm then good. I've heard of dogs getting stuck and strangling themselves

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info. I will try wiring it down. I had been using some of the thick zip ties but he has broken those.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I hope this isn't the case with your dog, but I've found that dogs who learn to undo the chain link at the bottom, then break zip ties, etc. can be inspired to keep trying for that reward of escape.

Securing the bottom may inspire him to unweave the top. Had a lab at my boarding kennel do this. His owners left for two weeks, the first weekend, the dog peeled up the chain link from the bottom to get out. I had a guy come in and weave in a security bar, like mentioned above in another post. He then un raveled the chain link a few rows above the bar. So I had a local metal worker craft a 3 foot high metal plate to put across the bottom. He then clawed and bit his way through the top section of the 5' tall chain link gate.

This all happened during the nights. He was a happy camper during the day and got lots of exercise and play with other dogs. He was just determined not to be kenneled at night. You may have to upgrade your kennel from chain link to heavy bars, but here's hoping not!

Good Luck,
Jennifer

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am not sure if your kennel is on concrete or not but I had the same problem. I fixed it by concreting the bottom fours inches all the way around except for the back corners for drainage. I then had to put cattle panels on the top cause she learned to climb.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had a dog like that. Wire did NOT work ! I went to lowes and got enough of the flat 1/2" bars to go all the way around weaved through bottom row of chain link and enough of the clamps for one every 2 feet. Worked like a charm ! But then she started sliding her doghouse over to the edge , climbing on top of it and jumping out over 6 foot high kennel. So then I had to anchor dog house to center of kennel with tap-con screws. That finally worked. Gotta love an escape artist !!!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I used stainless steel hose clamps space about every 8-10 inches have not had a problem since. Dog was chewing the wire ties that held chain link in place.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I had a dog like that. Wire did NOT work ! I went to lowes and got enough of the flat 1/2" bars to go all the way around weaved through bottom row of chain link and enough of the clamps for one every 2 feet. Worked like a charm ! But then she started sliding her doghouse over to the edge , climbing on top of it and jumping out over 6 foot high kennel. So then I had to anchor dog house to center of kennel with tap-con screws. That finally worked. Gotta love an escape artist !!!
I have one too. She pulls the wire off, jumps, digs... (in the yard fence, not the concrete kennel)

Most of those kennels come with cheap aluminum metal ties, but you can order steel ties from a fence company. Tie every single or every other and I will tell you the steel is a PAIN to work with but much much stronger. I like the flat metal bar idea too...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought some thick wire to try out that I can weave in and out of chain link fence and around the bootom bar of the frame. It is real thick wire so I'm going to give it a try. If that doesn't work I may just look into purchasing one of those kennels that are the thick welded wire.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My dog used to un-twist the chain link by moving her paws in a digging motion. She would move them in and out, and the chain link would actually unwind upwards from the bottom until she had a triangle-shaped hole to squeeze out of.

I ended up putting concrete blocks around the bottom on the inside of the run. Then, she couldn't get to the bottom to get the untwisting to stop. Had to have a top on the kennel to keep her from jumping out, but it worked.

It's amazing now, I got rid of the kennels and went to an invisible fence. Been using an invisible fence around my property for 4 years, she hasn't run out of containment a single time. It's funny how physical barriers become challenges, but mental barriers are permanent.

·
Registered
438 Posts
We went thru a number of chain link panels with the boy in my avatar. He would check for a weak point in the mesh, grab on, and twist while pulling. Eventually we replaced the panels with the welded wire ones. For all the effort, wire, fixes, etc - the new panels seemed a miracle. He tested them and found them solid. No more "checking"

Since he did the same destruction on the chain link for the fence in the exercise yard, we ended up with a cement barrior at the base to prevent him from escaping also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts