RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met a wonderful Lady and picked up my Boykin Pups from Mrs. Hodge in Sumter,SC on Monday.

I am new to the forum but will be asking a bunch of newbie questions as I travel down the Training Road with these Pups. Right now I am focusing on integrating them into the Family and basic OB....I will be following the Smart Works Program so I hope to find some here who can lend a helping hand.

This is Chief's Lady Clair Shaw...or simply Shaw

And this is Chief's Force Mojo....or simply Mojo

My 5 Year Old training partner....Bo

Bruz

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Two at a time... double trouble and you will have your hands full.

Welcome to the world of the little brown dog (LBD).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Great looking pups... we're picking our Boykin up from Sumter in about 3 weeks... who was the Sire (I assume Chief?) and Dam of your puppies?
Thanks for the comments...We think they are beautiful......No these are his Grand Baby's.....The Sire is Rambo and the Dame is Clair. Rambo is HRC Seasoned with a Grandfather who was a BSS Champion........ Clair's Sire and Dam are Chief and Delta.... Clair was doing really well in the Puppy ranks prior to the accidental breeding and is hyper birdie. I got to work Rambo while there and he is a large powerful DRIVEN retriever so if these Pups turn out nearly as good with my limited experience....I will be very happy.

This was an Oooops Breeding as Clair was too young.....but it is what it is.....I wanted good Hunting and Trial Dogs with little to no intention of breeding so if Clair or the Pups Hips don't check out at 24 Months I will have them Spayed or Neutered.....I really wanted the Dogs....Not so much their Pedigree.

My Boys are 8 and 5 and I want them to learn how to train a Working Dog now so that they will have the knowledge later on. Boys and Dogs just go together....They have already fallen in love.

Bruz

·
Registered
64 Posts
Bruz

Your pups will definitely be great hunters with that pedigree! I know Chief and Delta both check out on their hips (the puppy I just bought is from their repeat breeding so I did some homework) and while that doesn't guarantee Claire will check out on her hips, you should be fine!

You're definitely gonna have your hands full with two boykins but it sure will be and awesome way to teach those boys some responsibility and how to train a dog!

Saw you're using Graham's Smartwork System, are you using his puppy DVD as well? I'm starting with Hillmann's puppy DVD and then switching to smartworks when we get to ff, I haven't seen Graham's material for puppies, is it pretty good?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Here's what the Chief Grandpuppies have to look forward too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bruz

Your pups will definitely be great hunters with that pedigree! I know Chief and Delta both check out on their hips (the puppy I just bought is from their repeat breeding so I did some homework) and while that doesn't guarantee Claire will check out on her hips, you should be fine!

You're definitely gonna have your hands full with two boykins but it sure will be and awesome way to teach those boys some responsibility and how to train a dog!

Saw you're using Graham's Smartwork System, are you using his puppy DVD as well? I'm starting with Hillmann's puppy DVD and then switching to smartworks when we get to ff, I haven't seen Graham's material for puppies, is it pretty good?
I am using Hillman as well for the Puppy Phase....I know I'm new but the Smart Works Puppy jumped around waaaay too much for me to follow. I have it if anyone wants to borrow to review.

I think these are going to be wonderful dogs....I know they are wonderful puppies but I just am not focused on breeding(thus 2 Pups from the same litter) I will see how they perform and much more importantly how they check out physically and then determine if I will seek to breed.

I look at it like this....A good trainer can create a good working Dog....especially with blood lines like this...No one can correct a heriditary problem....So on the outside chance there is a problem....Oh well...I will enjoy my dogs as they are so to speak.

Bruz

·
Registered
952 Posts
You're right about Marie Hodge. Very classy lady and she is dedicated to her Boykins.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ford, beautiful Boykin, love those big muzzels

·
Registered
144 Posts
Good Luck with them. If I can get Rebel through Seasoned this year I may be looking for a second...:rolleyes:

BB
What do you mean "get Rebel through Seasoned" that is a forgone conclusion. Suz and I have been requested to come and judge at Long island's Fall Hunt Test. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
What do you mean "get Rebel through Seasoned" that is a forgone conclusion. Suz and I have been requested to come and judge at Long island's Fall Hunt Test. Looking forward to it.
Lois and I judged there last year. We had a very good time. Super people.....just couldn't understand anything they were saying! lol
Dan, call me before you go and I'll tell you how to get through NYC with the least amount of "pain".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.