RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

This is my first post on this site but I have been following it for quite some time now. I recently got my new puppy : '11 NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade x HRCH CD's Fetching Tiger Lilly MH QA2. I am very excited for this dog as it will be my first dog I've owned and run hunt tests with. He is an absolute fireball though! At 11 weeks old we have been focusing almost all of our time on the basic obedience work. He is extremely intelligent. He also has a TON of drive. We have done some short retrieves but just this last weekend we stretched him out to an 80 yard fire drilled mark and he had it pegged the whole way. He has been introduced to wings and dead mallards, hoping to get some pigeons here soon. He is a very independent dog right now but we are building a lot of great team work in our training!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the new teammate! You'll have an exciting ride with him!
Thanks! I have got my hands full with this one. He wears me out faster than I can wear him out right now but he is an absolute blast!

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
Brown eyes :cool:

Reactions: bradco64

·
Registered
336 Posts
Congrats, you're doing right by starting with a breeding like that! Enjoy them for the puppy that they are when they're that young!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Go big or go home! My first dog was $200 from a newspaper. I think you have stacked the deck in your favor. Hes going to challenge you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to rtf and congrats on the new pup. He’s pretty cute! You certainly picked a great pup for your first one...wow!
I had one lab before this that was just a meat dog, looking to really push myself with this one!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats, you're doing right by starting with a breeding like that! Enjoy them for the puppy that they are when they're that young!
This is my second lab, first one I got when I was way younger. He is 14 now and was just a meat dog. I had no idea there was even such a thing as hunt tests! I am really enjoying him so far!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Go big or go home! My first dog was $200 from a newspaper. I think you have stacked the deck in your favor. Hes going to challenge you.
My first pup when I was a kid I bought for $500. Great meat dog but I had no idea there was even such a thing as hunt tests. This dog I have different goals with! He is already challenging me. I got the most advanced and independent one of the litter. He is not afraid of anything and knows how to push me already. It is going to be a great experience.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Judging from those two photos, you've got the eye contact skill well established. :cool:
He's funny that way, He does way better establishing that kind of contact when we are not at home. I train 95% of the time in different locations with cover and other distractions. I feel as though when we train there he is more inclined to focus on me then at home!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Nice looking pup! We got a new boy last fall...he is now working on his SH training! He will be my last retriever so we got the best pup we could find. He to is wearing us out, but such fun they are...

Good luck with you new mate...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any updates on Ace? Pics or Vdeos? Love to see them grow and develop.
I do have one video that I made of him that I will attach. Unfortunately he fractured his Ulna in a freak accident at 12-13 weeks. We are currently in the last couple weeks of Physical Therapy and he is coming back stronger than ever. I've got some video I need to edit of us doing water therapy before too long!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice looking pup! We got a new boy last fall...he is now working on his SH training! He will be my last retriever so we got the best pup we could find. He to is wearing us out, but such fun they are...

Good luck with you new mate...
Thank you! Once we get cleared from his physical therapy due to his injury we are really going to buckle down on training. We lost a month and a half due to a fracture of the ulna. He is doing great though and after the splint we have been working on basic obedience (lost over a month of this due to being in the splint).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts