RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new to me, built by me dog kennel/run. It's 10'x30' with 3 doors to make 3 10'x10' kennels. I made it so I could divide my dogs or create one big run. I still need to add the down spout to my gutter and install the divider gates. Other than that it's pretty much complete for now, until I decide to split them up. Thought I'd share.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Thats very nice! The kids ought to appreciate all that good shade ! Except If it were me-I'd move that container of doggie treats WAY UP HIGH...It would only last about 1 minute if it were where mine could access it .:)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Very nice, Im building a new one in the summer and its alot like yours! Ok, costs? not including the building attached to it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice, Im building a new one in the summer and its alot like yours! Ok, costs? not including the building attached to it?
About 3k. I did all the slab work myself too. The only thing I sub'd out, was the chainlink fence and gates. I still some stuff to do to make it complete, but it'll get me by for now.

This is a nice setup! Very nice work
Thanks!

Thats very nice! The kids ought to appreciate all that good shade ! Except If it were me-I'd move that container of doggie treats WAY UP HIGH...It would only last about 1 minute if it were where mine could access it .:)
Well they know their there, that's for sure, but they haven't tried to get to them that bad.... yet.

Nice set-up, now what's the car?
see below

camaro or firebird 1970's ?
You got it. '70 Camaro.

Here's a before.

After

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I have something similar, only just 2 divisions, 8 x 40 or so.
You may want to consider a bottom rail, esp for those long stretches. I had no idea my ex forgot to secure the fencing to the bottom rail on one short stretch but a rescue foster (this was probably 8 yrs later!) showed me his error quite quickly! :p

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You may want to consider a bottom rail, esp for those long stretches. I had no idea my ex forgot to secure the fencing to the bottom rail on one short stretch but a rescue foster (this was probably 8 yrs later!) showed me his error quite quickly! :p
I was just going to suggest the same thing!! I have a couple that get bored and like to unravel chain link, just because they can.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your saying the wire on the bottom isn't sufficient enough? I never would have thought of that. I may have to go that route, but at the moment, none of them have ever tried to test it. It's early in the game though...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Nice Car, and the kennels aren't so bad either... :)

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
For a determined lab with time on his/her hands and a hankering to either get out or join his/her neighbors, that wire strung along the bottom will last about 20 minutes...tops! Especially if the dogs have never been separated before, one comes in heat, or if any have separation anxiety towards not being with you. Or, simple boredom. You may also find that separating the dogs leads to "fence fighting". This can sound vicious, the majority of the time it is done either in play or during stressful times such as a female in heat close by (this can also occur among females) or during meals, or when you have one dog out and not the rest.
Our dogs do it when we have one in the backyard and one or two in the airing yard as a game (all females) as they race each other up and down the fence line, stopping on each end to snarl, bark, and growl at each other. They all get along just fine together, by the way. Our males do it when a female is close to coming in (early warning system) and as a dominance type of "strut" past each others kennels when being aired separately.
You will also be surprised at who the instigator will be among your dogs, it may not be the most dominant dog at all!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Nice kennel,nice car. I have one question though. Did you flash the roof where it connects to the bldg? I just can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. If its there its one fine job.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice kennel,nice car. I have one question though. Did you flash the roof where it connects to the bldg? I just can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. If its there its one fine job.
Thanks, and yes I still have that to do as well. I have the piece already, but I need to cut into the shop to do that, and have just been putting it off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For a determined lab with time on his/her hands and a hankering to either get out or join his/her neighbors, that wire strung along the bottom will last about 20 minutes...tops! Especially if the dogs have never been separated before, one comes in heat, or if any have separation anxiety towards not being with you. Or, simple boredom. You may also find that separating the dogs leads to "fence fighting". This can sound vicious, the majority of the time it is done either in play or during stressful times such as a female in heat close by (this can also occur among females) or during meals, or when you have one dog out and not the rest.
Our dogs do it when we have one in the backyard and one or two in the airing yard as a game (all females) as they race each other up and down the fence line, stopping on each end to snarl, bark, and growl at each other. They all get along just fine together, by the way. Our males do it when a female is close to coming in (early warning system) and as a dominance type of "strut" past each others kennels when being aired separately.
You will also be surprised at who the instigator will be among your dogs, it may not be the most dominant dog at all!
Note taken. Their not split yet, but will be when the pup comes in season. I'll have to secure the bottom lace when that happens for sure. I have a neighbors wandering dog in my yard when our little lap dog goes into heat. And I know he'd try and do something.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Note taken. Their not split yet, but will be when the pup comes in season. I'll have to secure the bottom lace when that happens for sure. I have a neighbors wandering dog in my yard when our little lap dog goes into heat. And I know he'd try and do something.

sleepless nights for you! How come the neighbours dog is never NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH EIC/ CNM clear? I just came through both of my girls in heat the same two weeks, my first heat since we moved, luckily, no suitors appeared. I like the kennel, are you putting in barrrels or houses or run ins?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
sleepless nights for you! How come the neighbours dog is never NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH EIC/ CNM clear? I just came through both of my girls in heat the same two weeks, my first heat since we moved, luckily, no suitors appeared. I like the kennel, are you putting in barrrels or houses or run ins?
Nice kennel. I agree with the others.. Your going to need bottom pipes on that wire. Either to keep a dog in season inside or a determined male out.. Most dogs can push up chain link wire that's not fastened like it's not even there if the spirit and hormones are willing...and some can even make their own holes in chain link even if it is fastened to get the deed done, or climb right over the top of an uncovered kennel.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Very nice and 10X10 will give them plenty of room while your working or away

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Probably houses in each...I'm going to build some though. Retail dog houses are just too darn expensive for my wallet.

Nice kennel. I agree with the others.. Your going to need bottom pipes on that wire. Either to keep a dog in season inside or a determined male out.. Most dogs can push up chain link wire that's not fastened like it's not even there if the spirit and hormones are willing...and some can even make their own holes in chain link even if it is fastened to get the deed done, or climb right over the top of an uncovered kennel.
I used commercial chain link, but it sounds like their going to get under or over it either way. Pipes and some type of block up top sound like they are next on my list.

Thanks for everyones input!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts