RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for insight to improve an area that I feel that I have a deficit. I work along the Lardy lines, as a preface. I am looking for methods or a way of thought to help increase momentum during the process of teaching blinds. I relieze this is a process that starts way back at FF, WF, SF, FTP, etc. Where I feel I'm not getting all I can, in the way of momentum, is from PB's and taught blinds. I would love to get some expirenced advise or thoughts on this.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Evan, I feel like it's momentum...more of the desire to drive out faster. For example, a dog may drive out with enthusiasm on marks and half speed on blinds. Would you consider this to be a style issue?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
How old is the dog and when did the dog start running blinds?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pup I'm working with now 11 months old. We have progressed through pattern blinds with diversions(no dry pops or poison birds yet) for about the last 3-4 weeks and just beginning work with taught blinds. I've put out the occasional deceased duck with the piles. None shackled...thats a thought.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Are you putting too much pressure on the dog to run perfect lines? Building momentum now and precision will come later - Rex Carr.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
The pup I'm working with now 11 months old. We have progressed through pattern blinds with diversions(no dry pops or poison birds yet) for about the last 3-4 weeks and just beginning work with taught blinds. I've put out the occasional deceased duck with the piles. None shackled...thats a thought.
This is a function of learning-be happy if he is working with you and as he builds confidence with time, the momemtum will come on blinds. It might take awhile but IMHO this is a normal phase for most dogs. If he is going and stopping I would not push him through with more force. It sounds like he is doing so well you don't realize it. Some dogs always run blinds more methodically than marks and some of us like it that way.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't feel like I am to tight to the blind. I understand the progres to the blind idea and keep the dog going.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This is a function of learning-be happy if he is working with you and as he builds confidence with time, the momemtum will come on blinds. It might take awhile but IMHO this is a normal phase for most dogs. If he is going and stopping I would not push him through with more force. It sounds like he is doing so well you don't realize it. Some dogs always run blinds more methodically than marks and some of us like it that way.
Nancy, she does carry to the blind without excessive casts and usually takes them well, the diversions worked nicely by creating some casts. I maintain a high attrition to low collar standard. Seems to work better for her. The go, stop, and come standard is being met.The only other detail I am seeing, once she reaches eyesight of the blind, she excels and shows a bit more excitment.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Nancy, she does carry to the blind without excessive casts and usually takes them well, the diversions worked nicely by creating some casts. I maintain a high attrition to low collar standard. Seems to work better for her. The go, stop, and come standard is being met.The only other detail I am seeing, once she reaches eyesight of the blind, she excels and shows a bit more excitment.
It will come. She is doing a nice job. Don't screw it up by wanting it too soon.
Personally, I use very little collar (only for go stop come) when they are learning. She may be afraid to make a mistake. I would put a live pigeon there if you want to perk her up for the finish occasionally. She is trying to work with you and to be good. Don't do too many blinds either-a sequence of three.

·
Registered
202 Posts
how often do you use live shackled birds on your blind retrieves?

ya X2 on the live birds - that has helped my dogs momentum tons on blinds. I'll use whatever I can - ducks, chuckars, pigeons but chuckars are my favorite though cause they hold up better then the others. You'll get a lot of mileage out of them. Clip a wing, dizzy them up a bit and watch what happens when your dog finds that prize waiting...

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Before jumping into drills or procedures you should fully understand momentum and what increases or decreases it.

Read Training and Campaigning Retrievers by Jack Gwaltney....

/Paul

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
SUCCESS......

I learned to spell that word correctly. from listening to the cheerleaders in High school.

·
Registered
716 Posts
how often do you use live shackled birds on your blind retrieves?

Ding, ding, ding, winner! Try banty roosters, they love em'! Most pros think this is korney, but it does work. After your pup has picked up a few live birds on blinds when you go back to a bumper they may hunt looking for the live bird, dont get pissed off you created this by using the live birds, just walk out as far as you need to get the dog to fetch the bumper, keep fido guessing until you gain the momentum you want.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SUCCESS......

I learned to spell that word correctly. from listening to the cheerleaders in High school.
Listening or watching? LOL Yes Makes perfect sense. Build confidence by success.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Before jumping into drills or procedures you should fully understand momentum and what increases or decreases it.

Read Training and Campaigning Retrievers by Jack Gwaltney....

/Paul
Sounds like this may be a needed read.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts