RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Today I'm not worried about here we worked on sit , not as vocal today and sit is getting better. 8 marks on land with a doken then went to water for 4 marks. On water she returns straight as an arrow but were fixing to work on here .

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today we got a lot of sits in and also worked on here. 10 marks on land while holding on to the collar She's slowly getting better. If you remember back a few months ago she was hesitant and thinking too much I've created to much drive and it needs to be corrected. She goes to the trainer in September after he returns from his summer trip. Obedience is pri 1 right now and we will get it done correctly.

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
The last two days seems like a lot for a 16 week old puppy. Just my thoughts on reading your posts.

Reactions: Frostyhollow

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wayne really its not that much the marks are all thrown by me and the obedience is done with a collar and rope . I'm not using a choke chain , e-collar or crop but just my hand . Last night I took her out for playtime and while I didn't insist on sitting or no barking she did it on her own it's coming on now .

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow it's been 2 weeks since I last posted . We haven't stopped working with her I'm just taking it easy on her , her sit is getting better and better each day and heeling and here are coming along also. Marks in water and land keep going on each day .

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Post a video so we can see her.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well today was an eye opener on training. We started with obedience and it was ok , but when I pulled out a bumper I lost all control! I had a wide eyed wild dog that would not listen to any command my best option was to grab the strap and put her up before I lost my composure. Tomorrow is another day and will be nothing but obedience for the next few weeks . Any thoughts from anyone?

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Well today was an eye opener on training. We started with obedience and it was ok , but when I pulled out a bumper I lost all control! I had a wide eyed wild dog that would not listen to any command my best option was to grab the strap and put her up before I lost my composure. Tomorrow is another day and will be nothing but obedience for the next few weeks . Any thoughts from anyone?
Introduce more distractions when you work on obedience.
I would not worry too much about her excitement and loss of control when seeing the bumper, she's a pup that loves to retrieve.
A good lesson might be sit and remain sitting as you get a bumper out, toss it around, etc. I would take it slow, plan on many short lessons. You need to teach her to control her enthusiasm, being careful not to let her think she is being punished for it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Have you officially started formal OB yet at this point? Or is that what you are about to start? Seems unfair to be annoyed by a puppy that has the drive you want but the puppy isn't perfectly behaved yet because the puppy doesn't know any better? I personally would not only do OB for a few weeks. I would still want to work in field type things, even if it's just some retrieves on a check cord, but that's just me.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Introduce more distractions when you work on obedience.
I would not worry too much about her excitement and loss of control when seeing the bumper, she's a pup that loves to retrieve.
A good lesson might be sit and remain sitting as you get a bumper out, toss it around, etc. I would take it slow, plan on many short lessons. You need to teach her to control her enthusiasm, being careful not to let her think she is being punished for it.
I train at a park just for the distractions and this was the first time she went like this . My trainers recommend starting her early on obedience and being thoroughly strick .

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Do some fun retrieves and then do ob. Or do ob separate location without any bumpers involved. I’m going to post a video later today of my morning training. That’s what I did. We have been doing ob for quite a while but I don’t consider it formal because there hasn’t been any discipline yet other than tugging on lead.
When he gets done teething boot camp will start because at that age he should be able to handle some heeling stick discipline. And we will start force hold.
On the current video on rtf I did retrieving at training grounds and ob when I got home.
Just my two cents. Be easy on ob for a while. Teach. Keep discipline to a minimum. Remember you can take drive out but you can’t put it back in.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Obedience went well after Cinco was charged at by a loose poodle. She wasn't having none of that her hair was standing up and she was ready to get into a fight. I got her back under control with a sit command and stocked her til she relaxed.

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Stocked?

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Obedience went well after Cinco was charged at by a loose poodle. She wasn't having none of that her hair was standing up and she was ready to get into a fight. I got her back under control with a sit command and stocked her til she relaxed.
Well done you! You should get some 1-1 lessons from your mentor on here and well worth the travel I may add. Or, continue on your current course which is highly enlighten for all to learn .

1 - 20 of 42 Posts