RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying :)

Uncontrolled dogs are a real pain. Glad to hear it worked out.
Now that we have 'Stroked' clarified. Do you think it makes sense to comfort/praise the dog just after "it had it's hackles up and was ready for a fight" ?
Training in the public park has disadvantages and many complications, especially with an 'un-trained dog' .
Which one of the dogs were 'Uncontrolled' do you reckon? ...and anyways, which one of the owners is playing in the park ?lol x

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Now that we have 'Stroked' clarified. Do you think it makes sense to comfort/praise the dog just after "it had it's hackles up and was ready for a fight" ?
Training in the public park has disadvantages and many complications, especially with an 'un-trained dog' .
Which one of the dogs were 'Uncontrolled' do you reckon? ...and anyways, which one of the owners is playing in the park ?lol x
I was referring to 'makes sense' that he didn't mean collar correction - it makes more sense to me that he attempted to settle his dog, rather than turning to pressure to correct the response.... But no. I don't think it is a good idea to praise a dog for being reactive - which is what happened. I personally do not like dog parks for training or even for letting dogs run around. They are more for the benefit of the humans than the dogs.

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
I didn’t read that he was at a dog park. Usually trains on COE land vicinity of lake. I think the action you took was fine. I don’t know what else could have been done.

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
I had a similar incident in our neighborhood. A neighbor lost control of her mutt. It charged at Rowdy who was on a lead and a puppy at the time. I had a walking stick with me and whacked the charging dog before it got to Rowdy. It retreated.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
You folks read the part about the other dog being a poodle right?:cool:

Nobody that was not there can possibly judge how JO dealt with the incident.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
"I train at a park just for the distractions and this was the first time she went like this "
I read it that training was being done in a park:cool:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
"I train at a park just for the distractions and this was the first time she went like this "
I read it that training was being done in a park:cool:
Polmaise I was in my front yard when the incident happened.
On a better note we spent the day at my trainers area ,she got marks on water and heard a lot of gunfire and there were no problems with the other dogs.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Worked on obedience yesterday and this morning here ,heel and sit is improving daily . She finally started connecting the dots on the here command when on a long rope this morning she came at a run when she heard HERE . Progress is a good feeling but I have to go slow and steady we have a lifetime to be together and I'm not in a rush.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It's been awhile so let's see how she's advanced . I can pull a bumper out and she goes wild but I can say sit and she will park her butt instantly, she will walk at heel and do heel piviots and also here pivots. I can walk around her when she is at sit take 2 steps away and command heel and she complies she will also do this when I'm 2steps to the side or rear. We started backwards heel last week and it's coming along. We are still marking (hand thrown by myself) and she will deliver to hand so progress has been made . She's teething right now but she's not letting that stop her. The crop or the collar has not been used for any of the results just good ol repetition so she's happy and has lost no drive to retrieve . Slow and steady is the plan to reach our goals.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
It's been awhile so let's see how she's advanced . I can pull a bumper out and she goes wild but I can say sit and she will park her butt instantly, she will walk at heel and do heel piviots and also here pivots. I can walk around her when she is at sit take 2 steps away and command heel and she complies she will also do this when I'm 2steps to the side or rear. We started backwards heel last week and it's coming along. We are still marking (hand thrown by myself) and she will deliver to hand so progress has been made . She's teething right now but she's not letting that stop her. The crop or the collar has not been used for any of the results just good ol repetition so she's happy and has lost no drive to retrieve . Slow and steady is the plan to reach our goals.
That sounds absolutely brilliant ! You must be well pleased ?
You must have a phone with a function to record ..If not a simple camera ,and it would be great to 'see how she's advanced'?
There is a zillion videos on Youtube/internet with obedience stuff with dogs , but it's great to follow and 'see' one that is with the author . Thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Update on Cinco , we are doing stand alone marks and marks from my side and she's pretty steady with no leash or collar on her . Force breaking ( hold ) has been started and she hates it pressure will begin in the next few days and we have started 4 bumper wagon wheel lining day 2 of this . Today we went 2 revolutions to the left and 2 to the right . Obedience continues and making more and more progress each day.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
We finally got thru "hold" and it was a nightmare to go thru. What I ended up doing was giving her 3 days off just to be a dog and started this morning. What a surprising development, she holds , lunges for the bumper and gets into heel position. I can work with this and hope to have her on the ground sometime next week.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well things haven't gone as planned since my last post. I almost collapsed coming out of an aircraft cargo bin , my coworkers got me inside our breakroom so I could cool down . It took 2 hours before I could stand freely even though my body hurt from all the cramping, right now I just don't have the energy for training in this heat . Today's heat index at the airport will be 105 so time to hydrate now.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Well things haven't gone as planned since my last post. I almost collapsed coming out of an aircraft cargo bin , my coworkers got me inside our breakroom so I could cool down . It took 2 hours before I could stand freely even though my body hurt from all the cramping, right now I just don't have the energy for training in this heat . Today's heat index at the airport will be 105 so time to hydrate now.
Damn- it's been a hot week for sure. Glad you are ok!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Glad you are OK.
FWIW I dont train in hot weather. For one thing it can be life threatening as Dogs don't handle heat well.
For another thing dogs aren't very good students when it is hot, and I am not a very good teacher. So usually It is more likely we will regress more than progress in hot humid conditions

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
I'm.glad you're ok.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts