RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some lond blinds today at my local park. 2 bumpers set out about 200 yards away , someone had put 2 barrels near each other and I ran her in between them . I'm running without an ecollar but shes doing good. Picture to follow but is there anything else I can do to make her better? The bumpers are placed in the middle of the far shade .

Attachments

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Do a three peat drill with barrels. Run one down middle, one on left side of barrels and one on right side. You can move the starting point so that you the left and right one cross the line of the middle one. Hard to describe in words.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
IMO your doing the right thing not using collar correction when teaching blinds but, I would put the collar on her anyway. Putting the collar on should mean we are going to train and have fun, and it will if that's what happens. If you only put it on when you intend to correct she will figure that out quickly.

Look for lots of places to repeat the same concepts and, gradually, introduce more factors. Any water you can find is especially valuable, doesn't have to be much if there is a nice training area around it.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
You can or leave in same place. Because of trees you may have to move the line for each pile.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
94129F72-6F1D-46B1-B0C9-B35B4D6E2293.jpg
Something like this

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Yep that’s what I was trying to describe

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drunkenpoacher this park has a large pond that i do 4 separate lines on and then work on decheat where she has to go into the water coming and going.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Probably best to have ecollar on dog. Then you have a reasonable defense it someone reports you in violation of leash laws. It has happened to me several times in parks.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Where is that?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Grand Prairie or at least they didn't when I moved to Florida, and no cops have said anything to me since Ive been back . All my dogs go wherever I go, at Pet Smart they are amazed Boo carries her own leash and Discount Tire loves her.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Drunkenpoacher this park has a large pond that i do 4 separate lines on and then work on decheat where she has to go into the water coming and going.
Sounds nice and convenient. You will need lots of places to run blinds as your dog advances. It takes very few repetitions for a dog to remember a blind. You want her concentrating on and trusting your casts rather than thinking ahead to where the bird is.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Drunkenpoacher I have alot of places to go train i. This town. For example Lone Star Park (a horse track and the COE properties at JOE POOL LAKE plus another place thats part of a city park that gets mowed monthly as are the first 2 . Ive even had the cops stop by at the last place to make sure everything was alright. If i wanted to 4-5 hundred yard marks or blinds could be attempted. Love this town!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oops I forgot if this virus ever gets over with i could just call Wayne Nutt and resume our training sessions.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wayne Nutt ,
Today was the first day trying the 3peat thur the barrels went good. Boo broke to the center pile when sent on the right diagonal so I used a verble no and called her back for the left diagonal I made a mistake and inadvertantly gave her a no, never made a mistake after that. A lot of mental pressure on her part and she was panting hard at the end not very long run just thing hard. Tomorrow s another day .

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Very good.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts