RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Again I’d utilize the technology we have today to help the dog learn things easier. However try this I do this weekly with my transition dogs it helps balance a good attitude.

Monday morning - yard work Wagon/ 8 handed casting/ no no drills etc

Tuesday morning - blind work usually two cold land blinds

Tuesday afternoon - two cold water blinds, 3 singles off of multiple guns

Wednesday morning two cold land blinds different field

Wednesday afternoon two cold water blinds, 3 singles off multiple guns,

Thursday take morning off
Thursday afternoon two water blinds, cold double

Friday morning two walk around longer water blinds to improve attitude and develop momentum.

Off Friday afternoon

Saturday morning two big 3 Gun marking setups throw birds and fliers if possible.

Off Saturday afternoon

Off all day Sunday

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Finally got some free time to train this morning . 3 water marks, no no drill and 3 peat thru two separate set of barrels she wanted the work and did fairly well today.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Did 2 150 yard blinds , the no no drill with 3 separate benches and 8 bumper wagon wheel with half in water half on land. She lined up perfectly each time making progress I hope.

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Very good.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Today was a bad day, ran 2 cold blinds very long 1st was perfect second stunk ! Crossing wind left to right she went past it on the wrong side. I called her back in and resent. The temp 83 degrees and high humidity aren't helping, she quit listen to the whistle. So I walked out and kept walking out til I got her on the bird. She got very hot sot she got a drink and I dumped all the water I had with me on her, she ran maybe a mile just on the last bird. i just couldnt quit til she had success . Shes now resting in her crate here in the house.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Ive about reached the end of what I can train and teach on my own here in Texas , she will go to a trainer after their winter trip. Hopefully I don't screw her up before then.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
For the bext couple of weeks we are giing ti work on wagon wheel handling dirls to get her tightened up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Wagon wheel hadeling drill today gotta sharpen up her sit on the whistle ,the casting was good. We then worked on marks (I train alone) told her sit and i walked out and threw 3 marks then walked back and sent her. Looking for improvement every day.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
After a month and 1/2 of working 14 to 12 hour days finally im back at it. Todays session was repeat blinds at 180 yards , it didn't stat well or end well. when she lined up and heard Back she jumped up at me and barked. She was forced back the other 2 blinds my side was made a hot spot and worked from a distance. I think its time to go to the back pile again . Your thoughts please on how to get truh this, i dont want to give the trainer some garbage next month.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
We visited the back pile this morning 32 bumper and from the 1st she had no hesitation but vocal. This is new to me so time to figure it out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I try not to Dr Ed but she has to realize back means Back. I dont have an answer why she would do this other than the inactivity of the last month.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
I try not to Dr Ed but she has to realize back means Back. I dont have an answer why she would do this other than the inactivity of the last month.
You cannot fix everything in one day and after a point fatigue becomes an impediment to learning.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Just got done 30 mins ago , backpile with no issues or being vocal maybe a refresher is what she needed.

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Every dog is different. Rudy occasionally gets in trouble by not taking a cast or poor initial line. And will do as you described. My solution is to just throw a bumper from the line about 20 yards. Then send him on back. Then all is well for future blinds. This is a simple remedy. I can't explain why it works. But for him it does.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Went back at it this morning , 4 bumper blind it wasn't a good line but she went with a purpose . On the rest of the resents she was vocal and refused to go she was forced on each one . Gave her a swim in the pond then went to the no no drill no issues. What went sour on the blinds anybody have an answer.

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
I would need to see the dog either in person or on a video before suggesting. If you can, come out and train with me. We can social distance easily.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts