RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Polimaise we have done marks for the last year , i do them constantly always retired. All I'm doing is stateing what I did today . And Wayne Nutt gave me some good tips on blind work and shes doing good , sorry for the confusion.
No problem. Stand alone marks are good! No need for blinds or barrels or even ...a blind as a helper. Just marks.?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Yesterday was blinds and doubles mark 1 was about 150 yards in tall grass mark 2 was in ankle high grass at about 250 yards , blinds were set out long and short yardage.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Today we went to feed at the spot I hunt on COE property. Then headed to the dam to do a couple of blinds 1 at 283 yard and 1 at 305 yards. Then went to the river to do doubles in water , the opened the gates up during a retrieve so lost a bird.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Jesse, Ranch hand is bush hogging/mowing at the Broken Road ranch now. Soon, I'll be going over there and we can stretch out quite a bit.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Today was spent on blinds at 285 yards then 2 sets if quads early this morning , then at lunch 2 more blinds at 250 yards and 1 mark at 150. Lovinf this cooler weather it allows us to do more here in Texas.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Just my luck all the traing we've done to get ready for a derby and we couldn't get out of the 3rd series. She retrived the first bird but on the 2nd she just froze and would not leave my side. I picked her up the judges ask me to handle her to pick up the bird but I wasnt going to reward her for not leaving my side when sent. Back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Todays training was marks and blinds. We did single marks , doubles and blinds thru the arch of the marks it was all mixed up long and short and had no balks on anything. Ended up using 3 parks and 2 areas on C.O.E. property . Started at 7 and ended at 10 with lots of breaks.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Just my luck all the traing we've done to get ready for a derby and we couldn't get out of the 3rd series. She retrived the first bird but on the 2nd she just froze and would not leave my side. I picked her up the judges ask me to handle her to pick up the bird but I wasnt going to reward her for not leaving my side when sent. Back to the drawing board.
Did she see both marks thrown?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Todays training was marks and blinds. We did single marks , doubles and blinds thru the arch of the marks it was all mixed up long and short and had no balks on anything. Ended up using 3 parks and 2 areas on C.O.E. property . Started at 7 and ended at 10 with lots of breaks.

Less is more.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Druckenpoacher yes sir she saw both marks . I lined her up on the l/h one when we got to the line, had her pull her head to the mark on the right by stepping back when the mark was thrown and shot. I know that this sport isnt easy but darn she should have done what I commanded. Oh well it was a learning experience and hope to do better next time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Tobias , right now I'm trying to get my point across to her , I may have not pushed her enough (im a softy) when I should have but the heat here in texas keeps me from doing that. Im going to follow this path then ease off before the next derby in Oklahoma.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Today was 3 blinds and 4 marks only issue was on the 1st blind she refused to go. Every thing else was ok. I couldn't push her more than I did yesterday that was too much. I may have failed at a derby but I shouldn't push her so hard that I loose her spirit and love. We go on.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Today was 3 blinds and 4 marks only issue was on the 1st blind she refused to go. Every thing else was ok. I couldn't push her more than I did yesterday that was too much. I may have failed at a derby but I shouldn't push her so hard that I loose her spirit and love. We go on.

My rules for training my own dogs that I have learned through trial and error

#1 - There has to be something in it for the dog (always)
#2 - If my attitude is poor going into the training session, it will probably be even worse after. Make sure my attitude is good at the beginning of each session, no matter what.
#3 - Train the dog in front of me - not the dog I wish he/she ''would be'
#4 - Live on the donut. (Thank you Denis Voigt)
#5 - You can't fit a square peg in a round hole .
#6 - Keep training sessions short, two 10 minute successful sessions are better than one 20 minute 'session from hell'.

Somehow, I think all those rules are connected. LOL

·
Registered
460 Posts
You did not "fail" at the derby. You and your dog made it through 2 series. And I think this was your first derby? You should be proud. You should take away the positives from ANY trial. What did she do great in the first and second series? Remember those moments and be proud of her for those moments. As for not going on the memory bird in the the 3rd series, you may never know why she chose not to go? But that's ok. Don't over think it and just keep training.

In FT's, you are going to lose WAY more trials then you will finish. It's the nature of the beast. Find the positives and then just keep training. Get'em next time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Today's session was blinds there water, it didn't start well but ended on a. Good note. We went for a long walk afterwards.
For those wondering I did not mean that the dog failed the test but that I must have missed something in training and I failed the dog.
I am learning and trying to get better. But I won't take it out on her.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Well we ended up with a great 2 weeks of training doing marks and blinds. But failed in the 1st series at the SRC derby. The marks went long but the dogs disappeared in the tall grass. Something new to work on now.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts