RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Haven't posted in awhile so here we go. BOO is now wth the trainer, but she went into heat on day 3 sure surprised my wife and I. Reports coming in are good and the foundation I did is solid . Hoping to run her in QUALs in the springtime.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
My dog Boo is still with the trainer and won't run an event til she's ready. That being said this will be a continuing post just the dogs will change.
Today's training is just as it always is with a 7 week old puppy. Crate training, crying, barking, intro to duck,bumper and paint roller. She's kinda tuckered out right now so she's recharging her batteries for later today . Call name CINCO !

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Started the morning with crate training getting her used to going in and out , right now we are at the park and giving her a duck.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
What I've noticed about this puppy is that while she is a go-getter she doesn't just run out and try to retrieve she suits there and then goes to the thrown object. So do I have a timid dog or a thinking dog only time will tell.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Last night was the first quiet night since we brought Cinco home . My wife and I were up at 4:30 and Cinco went straight to the yard to air out. We fed her and I took her for a few laps around the yard, we did puppy retrieves with me restraing her and she's getting the idea to wait before she goes. Her sit training is going well. My wife works from home and I'm at work right now.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
She's a baby yet...I don't worry about steadying puppies - I hold them by their chest and when the toy is in the air, release them on their name... use the motion/prey drive to your advantage. Sounds like she is adjusting well to her new life. :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
She's a baby yet...I don't worry about steadying puppies - I hold them by their chest and when the toy is in the air, release them on their name... use the motion/prey drive to your advantage. Sounds like she is adjusting well to her new life. :)
Tobias , I feel that it needs to be done this way everything this pup is showing me that she will be a handful .

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
In the end only you can be the judge of 'how much dog' you have. One thing to keep in mind is 'you can take it out of them, but you can't put it back in' --- If she is 'hesitant' to go once you release her, it seems like you are making her wonder if she should go or not go? At 8 weeks, I don't want any 'thinking' about going... That said, you are the one with the puppy in your hands :) you know what she is doing, we only know what you tell us she is doing.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
In the end only you can be the judge of 'how much dog' you have. One thing to keep in mind is 'you can take it out of them, but you can't put it back in' --- If she is 'hesitant' to go once you release her, it seems like you are making her wonder if she should go or not go? At 8 weeks, I don't want any 'thinking' about going... That said, you are the one with the puppy in your hands :) you know what she is doing, we only know what you tell us she is doing.
Oh yeah all the signs are there, after all she is out of FC/AFC MICKEY who is a thinker and a Pow granddaughter. I've seen Mickey run at an event but Pow I have never seen before and he from what I've read brings alot to the table. No work today she gets a day off.

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
I'm pretty much following Hillman with Yates. At Yates stage all retrieves are freebees. No restraining. He just does it differently.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
I get her excited in what ever we are going to use bird ,Kong, bumper or paint roller. If it thrown on the deck she is a deom but on the grass she stalks it like a cat then blows up on it . It's not being timid in my opinion it's her brain working . Hopefully by next weekend we have get her more fired up and thinking a little less.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Today is nothing but a long walk at a C.O.E. property we left after 2 unsavory people walked up to us. Let's just say I could handle any problem at that time. Overall it was a great day.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Success finally! Cinco finally quit thinking and just exploded on short duck retrieves. I did throw 2 ducks at least 20 yards that she dragged back most of the way , she wanted more but I put her up and try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
Great!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
This morning was a continuation of yesterday except we also used a bumper and a Kong. I had someone on Facebook tell me not to use ducks only bumpers , to that I say BS . I use everything ball,knotted rope,bumper , birds, paint roller , sticks ,softdrink cans and plastic bottles. Just remember we're dealing with puppies and you present everything with a sense of excitement and fun ! I'm waiting for the water to warm up a little more before we both get in there for her swimming, this will be at lake TextMate. I'm cheap and don't have the money for a pool like Wayne has ;)

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
If you didn’t want to work on lining, you could a mark and blind combinations or more advanced no no drills. I think you are asking the dog to do something advanced if you set up a three peat like that cold. I get the sense that you are setting it up then trying to teach it. I personally wouldn’t do that.

I’d set that up cold with a dog that I expected could do it. I wouldn’t set it up to teach with a transition dog. If you do, you might as well be setting up pattern blinds.

I think a mark and a blind would be good in a yard like place because it can go the opposite of the dog learning locations. The same can be said of no no blinds.

if you want to work on handling and not lining, I think pole drills do that.

That is what I think. I could wrong. Everybody thinks about something before they set something up. It isn’t limited to experts.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts