RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Not much going on over here just keeping the birds and bumper going on , we did go to JOE POOL LAKE and finally got her in some water so she can swim .

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Interesting day today , Cinco loves and wants her birds . My wife and I went out and threw for her and she marked and retrievd to 50 yards . She started out barking while at the mat then settled down and was quite for the last 2 marks .

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Two things:
I would lay off the birds. Barking at the line is one of the most difficult issues to fix.
Don't become reliant on the mat. I use mat periodically especially around water where it may get muddy. I try to steady w/o mat but use mat sometimes where line placement is critical for running from same spot.
These are just my suggestions.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
I agree Wayne , I know she's birds now and for the last few days am using bumpers. The results are she is wild , today was day 1 of trying to get her to settle down she can not retrieve til she quiets down. The plan is to still let her be a puppy just be quiet. Obedience starts next month and it will be very strict and done right that is pri 1. She will still get short happy bumpers but no more long throws. As I said she is a wild 1 and I hope I still have some hair on my head when its over. She's not thinking anymore!

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Great

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
It wasn't a long swim ,about 25 30 yards and this pong gets wider and longer. Just more work for later.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
This morning my wife and I took Cinco to the Dallas Farmers Market . She was very excited to have kids come from everywhere to come pet her , I must have gotten 100 plus sits in this short excursion!

·
Registered
9,343 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Stop using white bumpers.
Marvin I have been told not to use birds , and you believe that I use only white bumpers , well let me tell you what I throw .
White ,black and orange bumpers I also throw ducks , pheasant and quail now if I were to follow all the advice that has been given to me what am I to throw in water rocks? The white bumper was the first thing we grabbed before heading to my trainers. We stopped off at my brothers property just to give her some more swimming time . She also gets staked out to watch h the big dogs run and hears alot of shooting this has helped on her barking . So what would you suggest that I do Marvin ( my experience goes back to the mid 80's) no disrespect intended I'm just surprised by what people suggest.

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
Marvin I have been told not to use birds , and you believe that I use only white bumpers , well let me tell you what I throw .
White ,black and orange bumpers I also throw ducks , pheasant and quail now if I were to follow all the advice that has been given to me what am I to throw in water rocks? The white bumper was the first thing we grabbed before heading to my trainers. We stopped off at my brothers property just to give her some more swimming time . She also gets staked out to watch h the big dogs run and hears alot of shooting this has helped on her barking . So what would you suggest that I do Marvin ( my experience goes back to the mid 80's) no disrespect intended I'm just surprised by what people suggest.
I watched a very well broke out FC-AFC pick a white cup out of nowhere to head for to retrieve.
Dog had trial won up to that point. You can make whatever you want from that.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Marvin, Do you realize that this puppy is about three months old? Jeez.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Well the waiting begins again for me. My older dog BOO is in Colorado to run at Ft Collins event I'm hoping for the best and she is on her game . She's running in the Qual and she is in good hands let's see how it goes.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Good luck Boo.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Well the waiting begins again for me. My older dog BOO is in Colorado to run at Ft Collins event I'm hoping for the best and she is on her game . She's running in the Qual and she is in good hands let's see how it goes.
Note that Ft.Collins is on the 6th. Is Mark up there yet?

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Best of luck to Boo at the trial in CO. Mark recently sent me a photo of Skyy investigating some stacked bird crates (presumably full of ducks) and indicated that was where they were!

121 - 140 of 144 Posts