RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have a name in mind for my pup. However, I see a lot of names that mention the sire or bitch and was wondering if that's a tradition of sorts.

If I choose to simply name my dog "Bob" (not what I'm naming him) is it viewed as disrespectful for his sire/bitch? I can see where associating your dog's name with his pedigree would be beneficial to the sire/bitch if the pup ends up being successful in HT/FTs.

What's the census on this? Are single word names not OK for registration? I understand they do have to be unique, so there's probably a low chance that mine hasn't already been taken, but I was just wondering.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The tradition is to come up with a creative name for your pup. A play on words is considered rich and referring to the dam and sire is also considered a good thing, when it works.

Some kennels require their kennel to be the prefix to the dogs registered name. You should check and see on that one.

As for a single word, I don't think I can remember seeing one for the registered name. A single name is the call name.

In the long run, it is your pup and you can name it what you want.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
A single name would have to be highly unique, but if registering the pup online, AKC does a search of their database and will quickly tell you whether or not it is "taken" (they allow for 37 or 38? dogs to have the same name). One way to make it "unique" is what UKC makes you do, which is putting your last name in front of "Bob". Such as: Didley Bob, or Didley's Bob. There have been some really nice dogs with single names, Euroclydon, McGuffy, plus others.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm getting the pup from Yvonne Plaisance at Bayou Labradors. She hasn't mentioned a requirement about naming, but I'm not sure. Chopper's (the sire) is Roux's son and his registered name does refer to Roux iirc.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Mirk was registered as a single name....but it was to remember my brother's first dog training mentor/friend John Luther and his national derby champ, Mirk of Daingerfield

·
Registered
568 Posts
Follow the AKC guidelines and you can use whatever naming system you chose. Some like to incorporate parent and kennel names for recognition. The call name can be a part of the registered name or not. I've done both. It's whatever appeals to you. As stated, some kennels require their names be used or they void your guarantee so do check. One word names are ok, and if you're not the first, AKC will designate a Roman numeral at the end..."BobII", etc.
http://www.akc.org/reg/namingofdog.cfm

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just talked to Yvonne. She said there is no requirement to use the Kennel's name.

So I guess skies the limit?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I think theres been single word names before, Seems I remember seeing a dog named "Ronfleux" or soemthing like that.-?
Cant think of any others but yes,if its not taken- the skys the limit.Unless they see something innapropriate.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
I think theres been single word names before, Seems I remember seeing a dog named "Ronfleux" or soemthing like that.-?
Cant think of any others but yes,if its not taken- the skys the limit.Unless they see something innapropriate.
FC AFC Ronfleaux was the 93 National Derby Champ and a National Amateur Finalist

there was also the '99 National Derby Champ ...Showthyme

1 - 9 of 9 Posts