RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, what’s up with all the handling and pickups ? I have been following the Nationals since 2004 and I have never seen anything quite like this.

·
Registered
10,590 Posts
Just curious, what’s up with all the handling and pickups ? I have been following the Nationals since 2004 and I have never seen anything quite like this.
Heavy cover and tight marks I am told

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
The marks can be the same at 7 am and 6 pm.... but nothing else is.drag back scent, trails, paths, flattened area around the AOF, human scent. All exacerbated by cover, wind, humidity/lack of....Running early in the morning with higher humidity, vs later in the day with low humidity.... I would not want to run really tight marks with close AOF's where there was a lot of cover. Some cover is great --- necessary, obviously. This is where pro trained dogs or dogs who are trained daily with a group have an advantage.( light, wind, etc also, obviously can play a role)

·
Registered
10,590 Posts
The marks can be the same at 7 am and 6 pm.... but nothing else is.drag back scent, trails, paths, flattened area around the AOF, human scent. All exacerbated by cover, wind, humidity/lack of....Running early in the morning with higher humidity, vs later in the day with low humidity.... I would not want to run really tight marks with close AOF's where there was a lot of cover. Some cover is great --- necessary, obviously. This is where pro trained dogs or dogs who are trained daily with a group have an advantage.( light, wind, etc also, obviously can play a role)
Add temperature to your list which affects the dogs much more than humidity (which may affect us more) does.

Reactions: Tobias
1 - 9 of 9 Posts