RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank for all the advice. I will do some walking fetch which I have not done with birds. I have excess to fresh pigeons and will also be using them. She has tons of drive and really don't need to screw it up. I enjoy reading all the post on all subjects.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
...My concern is in a hunt test the duck get looking rough/nasty. I really don't know what she may do...
In the early days of HRC hunt testing, when pigeons were still used on land, I had a dog fail a Finished test because, true to his carrion "leave it" training, he wouldn't pick up a half-naked pigeon that had seen too much sun. That didn't change our approach to avoiding messing with carrion in the field, but it did change what we used for training birds prior to testing. Three dogs later, I had a youngster just off his first (1,000+ bird) season act a fool with a second day Seasoned test duck that was much the worse for wear and, I'd think, nearly fail for it. My Rx was to grab a few birds from the discard pile left by folks divvying up the better birds for training post test.

It's my suspicion that if you train alone, you might also want to conspire to train some with birds that other dogs have handled, 'least a strange dogs' scent (and taste?) on birds throw yours off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well folks it been few months since this post started. I am running season I need one pass for the title. The water diversion which landed on the bank used the same bird that was the morning walk up. The water diversion was the last bird for my run. It was chewed up pretty good. I trained last few weeks with rank birds. She didn’t kinda ok. My dog brought it back holding it by the wing dragging the body. I got the HR pass. Just had to post it. Thanks for advice given!!!!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts