RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is 9 am. You have 20 dogs left to run. The test is taking 5 minutes a dog. 5 x 20 = 100 minutes, so roughly two hours. Your test will be completed by 11 am.

Assume that you are moving. The move will take an hour. You will be ready to run a test dog for the 5th series at noon. The worker's party is tonight, so you cannot run late, and will probably need to stop around 5:30 pm. So, you have 5 hours to run dogs.

You were very generous and brought back 93 dogs to the 4th series. Many of those dogs were bleeding from the 3rd series. The 4th series water blind has brought out a variety of work. Some very good, some very bad, lots in between.

Questions for you, the RTF National Am, Judges
1. How deeply will you cut?
2. Will you come back with a land blind, which you could complete today, and which would allow you to remain very generous? But, if so, in five series, you will have had 5 marks, and 3 blinds.
3. Do you come back with a land triple/quad (which you cannot complete today)? If so, and you remain very generous, your test will push far into Thursday, and you will have 2.5 days to complete 4 tests. And your weather has been very variable.

What do you do?

Inquiring minds want to know

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I cut deep to maybe 40 dog. The fun and games are over and time to get down to it. Set a big triple/quad and cut to about 20 after that to finish on time.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I think they'll carry almost all the dogs to the 5th and set up a meaty triple that carries over to Thursday. I think they'll cut real big from the 5th as 30+ have handles.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have never judged a day in my life, but I would try to get the field to around 75 dogs and run a land marking setup. UNLESS I knew of a ball buster land blind that would make 25+ cuts for me, then be generous and run the land blind.

I am curious to see what some of the experienced judges say.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If it were me I would settup a single or double land blind with some sort of dry pop that can be completed by the end of the day with the remaining dogs.
Then start new tommorow with a land quad with way less dogs to run.
Callbacks are callbacks, if you did it you did it. If not you go home.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I haven't judged much myself, but I would setup a double land blind with some real meat to them. Finish today, cut deep, and have fewer dogs running a large triple/quad setup. If you setup the large triple/quad with 93 dogs, that could take forever to finish.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you look at Lainee's sticky, you can see what has been done in the past, years 2009-2011

In my mind, your considerations should remain:
1. Providing tough tests that showcase the talents of the best dogs in the country
2. Remaining true to National traditions of giving each dog two dings before sending it home
3. Emphasizing marks over blinds
4. Getting 10 series in over seven days

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you believe that marking is of "paramount importance" are you sure that you want to make a cut based on another blind? You will have had 5 series, three of which involved blinds. On the other hand, if you do a big, meaty land test, you will surely split your 5th, and have potential time issues downstream - particularly if the weather is not cooperative.

You could solve some of your time issues, by cutting deep after the 4th. But, wouldn't you rather make a big cut after marks?

Decisions, decisions, decisions ....

·
Registered
130 Posts
For Question #1 - You cut as deep as the accumulated work as compared to the rest of the field at this point has dictated....no more and no less. IMO, preconceived numbers at a specific point in time should only be considered if you are "under the gun" and it is too early for that as there are a lot of dogs already "dinged-up".

For Questions #2 & #3: At 10:05 a.m. EDT it was 89 degrees with 50% humidity and the heat can only get worse as the day goes on. Tomorrow a big cool-down is coming with a predicted high of 77 degrees and a predicted high of 75 degrees on Friday. I would do another combo land/water blind today (or at least a land blind with some water in it) and save my big land series for tomorrow when it is cooler. This would be my last blind - all marking in the cooler days to come. Safety for the dogs should be a huge consideration on a hot and humid day like today. These are smart judges or they would not be at the National - I am confident that they are looking at the weather forecast.

Besides, you want everybody to be happy at the Workers Party tonight! Let the anticipation of a b-buster-series tomorrow be the talk of the party tonight!

·
Registered
907 Posts

I don't have much judging experience, but will take a shot at it anyway. ;)

Cut shallow/generous. maybe 10 dogs plus/minus. I don't have the book, but am figuring there are about that many that did poorly on the blind, and previous setups.

2. Will you come back with a land blind, which you could complete today, and which would allow you to remain very generous? But, if so, in five series, you will have had 5 marks, and 3 blinds.

No, come back with a Land Triple, hopefully 6-10 minutes a dog.
Edit: based on weather report, perhaps set it up so dogs go through water on one mark.

3. Do you come back with a land triple/quad (which you cannot complete today)? If so, and you remain very generous, your test will push far into Thursday, and you will have 2.5 days to complete 4 tests. And your weather has been very variable.
Presuming you have a half day on Thursday, I'd want to complete a 6th series Blind on Thursday, hopefully not into Friday morning. This leaves 2 days for 3 series, with smallere and smaller numbers.

·
Registered
790 Posts
In keeping with tradition... at this point you have let them all play. The 5th series seems to be when the judges are in control. You could do a land blind and finish that today, then tomorrow start with a chew'em up and spit them out quad. But either way you will have 2.5 days to finish the test. And considering the level of dogs here running two blinds in a row you will have few dogs dropped in those series. So I would assume (I know what happens when you assume) I would have around 85 dogs left to start that quad on Thursday morning...

In that case thinking it through, I go with tradition today and go with the quad and get as far as we can with it today and move forward. Also considering the weather and the unknowns, some of those dogs that are bleeding after the 4th are cut.

But who am I? The chances of me ever being in that position to make that call at a National are ZERO. So I will be happy to sit back and watch the show and let the pieces fall where they may

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Still plenty of time to get her done.
First look at the weather.
This afternoons temps may reach 90 deg. Is it humid too?
Tomorrow high temps in 70's. = good!
Start big land quad today? Not so good for the dogs. ??
Do big land quad tomorrow? Yes.

Start a shorter land test today and finish today. ?
Would a shorter land test fit into the judges plans?
Can big historical cut come after the 6th. ?

Need to know a lot more about the 4th series blind. So far we know nothing other than dogs have "completed it".

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
It is 9 am. You have 20 dogs left to run. The test is taking 5 minutes a dog. 5 x 20 = 100 minutes, so roughly two hours. Your test will be completed by 11 am.

Assume that you are moving. The move will take an hour. You will be ready to run a test dog for the 5th series at noon. The worker's party is tonight, so you cannot run late, and will probably need to stop around 5:30 pm. So, you have 5 hours to run dogs.

You were very generous and brought back 93 dogs to the 4th series. Many of those dogs were bleeding from the 3rd series. The 4th series water blind has brought out a variety of work. Some very good, some very bad, lots in between.

What do you do?

Inquiring minds want to know

Ted,

I'm going to cheat and discuss with my co-worker Kevin Scovel and see what he would do........as I am no way qualified to answer that question!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Never having judged or run a field trial , I would set up a set of marks and get as far as I could today.... Not enough marks seen yet to make a big cut....

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Great thinker thread for us at home, Ted. Thanks. Glad it is you in the seat next year to make these decisions in real life, rather than me. I am happy for you and look forward to it. Thanks for the willingness to do so.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Well I got the call back right (75)....if there is a right and wrong in your hypothetical. Lets see if its land marks.

Huge congrats to all those that made it back, incredible.

BTW Ted, you were 1 minute off on your time table, shame shame

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think land triple/quad is coming

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 39 Posts