RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 635 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I wish they had a better diagram of the set up! seems much tougher than yesterday.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
3rd Series is a water triple with 2 retired & a mallard hen flyer. The middle island bird is proving difficult thus far in the early going.

54, 56, & 57 have handled. Started with #50 who had a no bird.

·
Registered
9,776 Posts
I wish they had a better diagram of the set up! seems much tougher than yesterday.
It is much more difficult, water and island marks make it that way. Generally the first set of water marks involves very little swimming, usually more like land marks through water, it is unusual to have a test this time consuming this early, if the time estimates are correct they may not finish tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
If my math is correct, 26 1/4 hours to run 105 dogs (15 minute average.). That's not including rebirds & gun changes.

That said, if they drop all the handles that they're averaging, (I know it's early in the day & not all handles/gorilla hunts are created equal.) they could really cut the field down significantly.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
If it continues as it is going now, both timewise and performancewise, a handle will send you home. :-x

JS

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
junbe said:
Two day test?--Then big cuts based on 5 marks. land blind?
We have no clue what's going to happen, but if things hold the same & if they do make a big cut (2 big ifs as this is speculation @ best.) I don't see the issue. IMO, marks should matter more & I do not like the idea of handles playing. Whenever you get a chance to drop the dog, do it. Again, strictly IMO.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
where do you see the diagrams?????
Diagram/sketch is provided in the Blog on http://www.theretrievernews.com/home . Click on BLOG Coverage. If you look carefully at the sketch, you can see an "x" where the bird will land. It would help if the arc were drawn from the gun station to the fall spot. If you read the setup description, and apply it to the sketch you can visualize the falls.

Significant cuts made after 5 marks and one blind is better than some years where significant cuts have been after the 3rd series based on 2 land marks, 1 land blind and 1 water blind (IMO). And, the judges may decide to carry handles. It has happened in other nationals and dogs with handles have been finalists.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
It is much more difficult, water and island marks make it that way.
Dr Ed,
Which way was the wind blowing when this setup started? I realize with the stormy weather that it may change, and change often. I am thinking about the flyer feathers, and the middle bird :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
​Unusually big for third series. More like 8,9, or 10th series test

·
Registered
9,776 Posts
Dr Ed,
Which way was the wind blowing when this setup started? I realize with the stormy weather that it may change, and change often. I am thinking about the flyer feathers, and the middle bird :rolleyes:.
I have not been to the trial as I will not run until tomorrow afternoon but I have clean clothes and a clean truck, will report when I see the test in person.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
If my math is correct, 26 1/4 hours to run 105 dogs (15 minute average.). That's not including rebirds & gun changes.

That said, if they drop all the handles that they're averaging, (I know it's early in the day & not all handles/gorilla hunts are created equal.) they could really cut the field down significantly.
Traditionally, unlike weekend field trials, dogs are allowed two dings (e.g handle, huge hunt, bad blind) before they are dropped. Again, traditionally, the big cut comes after the 5th series land triple/ quad

·
Registered
717 Posts
There is an updated sketch in the BLOG that shows the arc of the falls, and the order of the throws is numbered.
From what I understand, the flyer throw is actually much squarer to the line than indicated on the diagram (thus shorter swim, shorter test).

·
Registered
505 Posts
Judging a national is different from a weekend trial, generally speaking, a dog should not be dropped because of one handle! The unwritten rule is: two major faults will get you eliminated---at least in my day.

Too many judges focus on tests that will eliminate dogs instead of tests that will fairly evaluate them---a mentality through all my years i never understood.
GG

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
We have no clue what's going to happen, but if things hold the same & if they do make a big cut (2 big ifs as this is speculation @ best.) I don't see the issue. IMO, marks should matter more & I do not like the idea of handles playing. Whenever you get a chance to drop the dog, do it. Again, strictly IMO.
I surely hope you change this attitude if and when you judge.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I would consider listening to those who have actually run nationals and I also second hoping you don't judge with that attitude.

1 - 20 of 635 Posts