RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'm watching the blog, reading it at least twice a day. One dog that I tried to buy is still playing, and several friends are still running. I do miss Pat's video overviews and the AKC video interviews. The sixth series quad with honor looks to be pretty darn tough and its taking a bit of time per dog.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Been following the Blog intently everyday. I really appreciate whomever is running that Blog! Looks like the 6th is providing some answers on a tough quad.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Following the blog, wish someone in attendance was posting here.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Emblematic of how much RTF has changed, we are past the halfway point of the marquee event of the retriever world and not a single mention on this forum, how sad. ☹
yup - I was going to... but then I thought, well, let's see if anyone else does. No one did, so I figured no one was interested. I have been keeping up to date on the results. The 6th series has been getting some answers. Looking forward to seeing how it all shakes out. Also, looking forward to watching the video of the 6th series (right after I post this).

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
apparently the video is only of the marks being thrown - but it gives very good perspective of the cover and factors of the marks. The third bird down seemed like quite a low/flat throw. I wondered if the rest of the throws were the same?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
With only 59 starters, the Judges have been generous with callbacks. IMO, temperature is an unexpected factor. Probably would have seen a land quad today, but with temps in the 80's and significant cover, it's not worth the risk.
21 dogs left to run the 6th tomorrow. If today's pace is repeated, that may be it for the day. TBD.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I've been reading the blog every day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
With only 59 starters, the Judges have been generous with callbacks. IMO, temperature is an unexpected factor. Probably would have seen a land quad today, but with temps in the 80's and significant cover, it's not worth the risk.
21 dogs left to run the 6th tomorrow. If today's pace is repeated, that may be it for the day. TBD.
I believe you are running a Test Dog. When looking at the sketches/photos of the water blind, was the first point on line and were there instructions given or posted in the blinds regarding all 4 paws must be on the point?

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe you are running a Test Dog. When looking at the sketches/photos of the water blind, was the first point on line and were there instructions given or posted in the blinds regarding all 4 paws must be on the point?
While I am not there in body I am there in spirit and have a significant attachment to #11 and regular communication with her handler. She felt both points were on line although the line to the second one just skimmed the tip. Most handlers put them on the second point or tried to. The problem was knowing where the running water was. Since only the first 10 handlers are allowed on line to watch the test dogs the other handlers are put at a disadvantage and handlers with multiple dogs are afforded an advantage (assuming they are more likely to be in the first 10 dogs). At Nationals blinds are really just fulfilling a requirement, you can certainly be eliminated by failure of one or more but in the final accounting they rarely have an effect on the eventual outcome. Nationals have been lost on blinds but never won.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Emblematic of how much RTF has changed, we are past the halfway point of the marquee event of the retriever world and not a single mention on this forum, how sad. ☹
Someone did post that the NRC 2020 Pick'em Contest was open back when only three people had picked so far.

It seems someone forecasted a black labrador would win!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
While I am not there in body I am there in spirit and have a significant attachment to #11 and regular communication with her handler. She felt both points were on line although the line to the second one just skimmed the tip. Most handlers put them on the second point or tried to. The problem was knowing where the running water was. Since only the first 10 handlers are allowed on line to watch the test dogs the other handlers are put at a disadvantage and handlers with multiple dogs are afforded an advantage (assuming they are more likely to be in the first 10 dogs). At Nationals blinds are really just fulfilling a requirement, you can certainly be eliminated by failure of one or more but in the final accounting they rarely have an effect on the eventual outcome. Nationals have been lost on blinds but never won.
this is interesting to me. in the spirit of friendly competition, might these first ten handlers generally offer their thoughts to the other handlers? Was this limitation because of covid?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Ed will know and I could ask a couple of people there, but its not atypical of many of the FT I’ve been at this year. I’m sure it is because of COVID that only 10 handlers are allowed to watch.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Since only the first 10 handlers are allowed on line to watch the test dogs
The next 10 handlers are not allowed to watch the 10th dog run?
That is how a lot of clubs did it this year.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The operative word is on line, from the area of the mat. Traditionally handlers have been permitted to view the line at gun changes but that was eliminated also. And yes these are corona virus related changes presumably to minimize the chance of the judges being inadvertently exposed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the response. That explains some of the verbiage used to explain the dog work. I remember thinking "Why are they hitting the 1st point and missing the 2nd". The diagram is a little misleading.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I’ve also following the blog, but did note how there was no discussion on here.
Definitely not the RTF that it used to be.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I’m sure the field will be significantly reduced at callbacks to the 7th.

Nice to hear comments from someone there or someone getting first hand reports.

Where’s FOM? 😉

1 - 20 of 105 Posts