RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Looks like a nice test to me; A pretty typical set of all-age water marks.
From the picture of the middle bird, it looks like possibly the bird in the air, when thrown, from 350 yards might be hard to pick up with the tree seemingly in line with the fall area.

·
Registered
810 Posts
So far all the handles are on the middle bird. Could it be the dogs aren't picking up the bird in the air because of the tree?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks like it has more to do with dogs squaring the bank on staying in the water and not exiting. Both put them in bad spots

·
Registered
45 Posts
I never understand a test set up, especially for some of the best dogs in the country, that turns into an ugly fiasco from my point of view. I am not there, but when only a couple of dogs complete a test without a handle and from the description some of the few completions are rather ugly, I don't think it is a very good test. Just my opinion based on past experience but not at a National.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can’t give my pick on a public forum considering Joe Couey is a friend and member of my FT Club Chippewa Valley. Very excited for him! But, I have to ask this question, out of the VERY HIGHEST REPECT, who taught who more? Judy Aycock or Danny Farmer? I hear Judy is a pretty amazing person, who is very open to helping people and this sport. So I would also like to see her succeed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Seven Texas dogs remain (11,18,25,30,33,37,55), there is no shortage of home state dogs to root for. Two of those (25 & 37) are owned or co-owned by the breeder and 25 is breeder, owner, trainer, & handler.
But weren’t Many of these dogs competing up North all summer? So what do you think being “Texas” dogs give them a specific advantage? Makes me want to do a Spreedsheet on the statistics on this NRC and the history of these dogs.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I can’t give my pick on a public forum considering Joe Couey is a friend and member of my FT Club Chippewa Valley. Very excited for him! But, I have to ask this question, out of the VERY HIGHEST REPECT, who taught who more? Judy Aycock or Danny Farmer? I hear Judy is a pretty amazing person, who is very open to helping people and this sport. So I would also like to see her succeed.
Danny will tell you that Judy taught him everything. And obviously Judy is a legend in the game. She has had tons of success in the sport, so I am not sure what you are saying that you would like to see her succeed? She co-owns a dog that is at the National, but she is not running a dog at the national.

·
Registered
484 Posts
But weren’t Many of these dogs competing up North all summer? So what do you think being “Texas” dogs give them a specific advantage? Makes me want to do a Spreadsheet on the statistics on this NRC and the history of these dogs.
I believe he was just stating a fact (that there were 7 dogs from Texas still in the field to root for...if someone wanted to root for a Texas dog). A prior comment had suggested an RTF member was rooting for Mickey because he was from Texas and Ed responded to that post. I don't think he was implying that the Texas dogs had any specific advantage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Danny will tell you that Judy taught him everything. And obviously Judy is a legend in the game. She has had tons of success in the sport, so I am not sure what you are saying that you would like to see her succeed? She co-owns a dog that is at the National, but she is not running a dog at the national.
Yes, you are correct, Sylvia is running the dog, so, credit should be given to the handler. My “succeed” comment was meant to be, “succeed at this years NRC“

·
Registered
39 Posts
I believe he was just stating a fact (that there were 7 dogs from Texas still in the field to root for...if someone wanted to root for a Texas dog). A prior comment had suggested an RTF member was rooting for Mickey because he was from Texas and Ed responded to that post. I don't think he was implying that the Texas dogs had any specific advantage.
Got it! Just trying to learn. You can loose alot of sleep over analyzing things in this game!

·
Registered
39 Posts
This was just posted on the NRC Blog
11 dogs were called back to the 9th Series: 2, 18, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 43, 44, 57, and 58.
7 dogs were dropped: 3, 11, 17, 30, 39, 52 and 55.
Our 10th Series will be at the Fuller's 145 property (2187 CR 109) starting at 9:00 am.
The first running dog will be #29.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Msg deleted

·
Registered
571 Posts
Reactions: Gary M

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
The 9th was very deceiving in that the middle bird appeared to be inline between the RH retired and flyer, when in fact is was almost equadistance to the RH bird. Many dogs took great lines towards the middle bird but came up short, turned left instead of right, and were headed back toward the flyer station. Also, the wind was shifting all day. My girl was on a straight line under the arc of the MR, but winded the RH bird. On the 3rd send, I tried to push her back in there, but like many of the early dogs she split the difference and had to be handled. Also, handling to the middle bird was a challenge as there was a row of hay bales between the flyer station and the MR, plus the terrain put the dogs out of sight if they got deep.

Re #29, the judges scored the dog to the bird as it drove straight to the station (maybe the only one that did), but got spooked when it found 2 men inside the "hay bale hotel" and not his duck.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The 9th was very deceiving in that the middle bird appeared to be inline between the RH retired and flyer, when in fact is was almost equadistance to the RH bird. Many dogs took great lines towards the middle bird but came up short, turned left instead of right, and were headed back toward the flyer station. Also, the wind was shifting all day. My girl was on a straight line under the arc of the MR, but winded the RH bird. On the 3rd send, I tried to push her back in there, but like many of the early dogs she split the difference and had to be handled. Also, handling to the middle bird was a challenge as there was a row of hay bales between the flyer station and the MR, plus the terrain put the dogs out of sight if they got deep.

Re #29, the judges scored the dog to the bird as it drove straight to the station (maybe the only one that did), but got spooked when it found 2 men inside the "hay bale hotel" and not his duck.
Gracias Amigo

81 - 100 of 105 Posts