RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on these issues. Obviously if the dog is too far away AI is the choice, but if both dogs are with in driving distance, which do you prefer?

One of my best friends has a CH that is used frequently, she will not allow a natural breeding even if the bitch is there, it is always AI.

I am sure she feels it is safer health wise but I was curious as to what some of the others here thought.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Natrual all the way. When doing a natural semen lives a lot longer in the bitch. I will drive to do a natural, just easier and less costly. With a fresh chilled, you always have to woory about shipping and timing. Frozen has it's limits, but you don't have to worry about shipping it, since it frozen and you can have it before the surgical implantation is to be done.

Scott

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
There is difinitely a place for both types of breedings. If the distance is too great, AI can be the only realistic possibility. If the male is in training, sometimes the owner doesn't want to naturally breed him, because because some males get a little nutty when they breed. And some people just don't want their dog bred naturally. I have turned down chilled semen breedings, just because the timing is so critical, and the problem of depending on the accuracy of the female's vet and the inconvenience of getting my male to the vet for a draw at the drop of a hat. Doing multiple draws for frozen during the off season is much more convenient.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I prefer natural -- the "old-fashioned" way maybe but still the best IMHO

·
Registered
883 Posts
I guess I have to be the contra ion! I prefer using frozen semen, surgically implanted. We use Greene and Assoc. in Folsom, LA, have done over 50 breeding's, missed one due to uterine infection. Infection was cleared up, bred next heat and had 12 pups. Dr. Greene and his other Vets are good, do the timing, surgery and all.

Something to think about for your studs. One ejaculation may have up to 6 breeding's in it. At a stud fee of $1,000 that is $6,000. Do a natural breeding with two live covers and you have used probably ten breeding's worth of semen-- that is $10,000 worth of semen assuming that the second collection would have produced only four breeding's worth of semen. You start to think of things like this when you pass 75 years old. Not only that frozen semen lasts for years after the dog has passed or gone steril. Bill
________
Vapormatic reviews

·
Registered
341 Posts
A lot of bench dogs just don't always get it so they have to AI.

Pattie

G

·
natural

If you want pups natural is the BEST way If you have the progestrone testing done and timing is right its fast We have had several people drive from out of state we usually get the breeding that night skip a day breed again and they are out of here its pretty fast.

G

·
Bill Watson said:
Do a natural breeding with two live covers and you have used probably ten breeding's worth of semen-- that is $10,000 worth of semen assuming that the second collection would have produced only four breeding's worth of semen.
But there is more where that comes from. It's not like you're losing 8 or 9 breedings down the road ($8 or $9K) due to a couple of natural breedings. :roll:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Melanie Foster said:
Bill Watson said:
Do a natural breeding with two live covers and you have used probably ten breeding's worth of semen-- that is $10,000 worth of semen assuming that the second collection would have produced only four breeding's worth of semen.
But there is more where that comes from. It's not like you're losing 8 or 9 breedings down the road ($8 or $9K) due to a couple of natural breedings. :roll:
Melanie, All good things come to an end! I can attest to that. Gator Point's Dirt Road Sport has been dead for a bunch of years now, but we have a litter on the ground born 9 Feb, '07 (all sold) Frozen works!!!, Bill 12/28/29 (my birth date)
________
HOW TO ROLL A JOINT

·
Registered
117 Posts
NATURAL. Too many variables with AI. Besides, it is risky to put the dog to sleep so I try to aviod AI's. Heard to many bad stories with AI also: Blind puppies, small litters, etc. Maybe just a coincidence but it scares me. Can freezing them be good for the sperm?? It can't be. Paul

G

·
Bill Watson said:
Melanie, All good things come to an end! I can attest to that. Gator Point's Dirt Road Sport has been dead for a bunch of years now, but we have a litter on the ground born 9 Feb, '07 (all sold) Frozen works!!!, Bill 12/28/29 (my birth date)
I understand that (and congratulations on the litter :) ), but your statement I quoted suggests that, for example, the owner of the stud dog we bred to last week is somehow giving up $10K worth of semen due to the two natural breedings we did.

That is simply not the case. (And he's not giving up another $10K for the second bitch we just sent out either. :wink: )

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
LABRK9 said:

Pattie
That's not the reason they do AI.... :roll: :roll:

Those show folks are just weird that way. They like AI... :?

Angie

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
NATURAL. Too many variables with AI. Besides, it is risky to put the dog to sleep so I try to aviod AI's.
Okay,,, I'll agree with ya there to a point....

Blind puppies, small litters, etc. Maybe just a coincidence but it scares me. Can freezing them be good for the sperm?? It can't be.
Go ahead and be scared Paul cause all your fears are based on rumor and tales and not fact... And here's just a little heads up... No pun intended....

They've been freezing sperm from dang near every mammal on the planet and using it with great success for quite sometime now... It's called "Man in a Can"....

Gotta love it!!! :wink:

Angie

·
Registered
117 Posts
Angie, these things have happened to people I know with frozen semen breedings. It is more risky than a natural breeding. Sperm can be damaged if not thawed and or handled correctly. I understand the reproductive process very well and the whole process must be done correctly at the right time. Would you let just any vet handle your breeding or one who has experience? (Angie, for the record, I agree with you most of the time)
Paul
Was anyone on this forum a "frozen semen AI"?? Just wondering?

·
Registered
319 Posts
LABRK9 said:

Pattie
:shock: :shock:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bill Watson is right about everything. Frozen AI are almost guaranteed since it is surgically implanted in the horn. Most always the bitch will have a bigger litter and also a better quality pup.

Way to go Bill

Yvonne
New Orleans

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Angie, these things have happened to people I know with frozen semen breedings.
Gotcha,,, but how can blind puppies be a result of frozen semen? One has nothing to do with the other. Purely conjecture, I'm sure.

It is more risky than a natural breeding.
Not everybody feels that way. Many people have had great success with it. I'm not one, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate if I had a good reproduction vet and a bitch that was worth spending the money. Having a dog anesthetized is no more risky than having a litter.

Sperm can damaged if not frozen and thawed correctly
Yes, I agree, but that doesn't make the sperm that is frozen and thawed correctly of poor quality. Just because it's frozen doesn't mean there's a thing wrong with it.

I understand the reproductive process very well and the whole process must be done correctly at the right time. Would you let just any vet handle your breeding or one who has experience?
Gotcha and no. But with a good vet many have found it to be very productive and worth while.

Was anyone on this forum a "frozen semen AI"?? Just wondering?
I think the oldest one is 16 or 18 years of age. Just give'm a few more years and a retriever and they'll be here..... :wink:

Angie

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I had a lot of reservations about AI with frozen sperm. But when my female was ready, her stud was in Missouri at the Nationals. Transcervical didn't work because she was a little large and her cervix was a little small. We did surgical insertion instead. The doctor was great (Dale Mantell in Doylestown PA) and the whole process only took a few minutes. She never seemed to even notice the stitches and was fully healed in a few days. Exactly on schedule, nine beautiful, perfect puppies were born. Given the additional cost of AI, I would still opt for natural if the stud were relatively close. But I would not hesitate to do frozen again to get the stud I wanted. It may have been a little impersonal, but I at least showed her the straws so she could describe Dad to the pups.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts