RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm somewhat new to the retriever world, and only recently got into hunt tests and training. I had a litter about a year ago, sold some of the puppies to hunt test homes, and I feel that I've done a good job of keeping up with them. A family that I sold a female pup to owns a kennel that trains and runs their dogs in hunt tests, and I thought I had made a good choice sending her there. I recently saw that they have now acquired a charcoal male.... I do not currently know what their plans are regarding this new dog, but I strongly disagree with breeding any dilute dogs, not because they may not make good "pets", but because it's against breed standard and I feel that anybody actively breeding them are doing a great disservice to the breed. She has no dilute in her pedigree, so I am not concerned with her throwing dilutes if bred with this dog, but in the long run, I want NOTHING to do with having my name connected to any dilutes. What is the best way to handle this? I have refrained from saying anything to these people as of yet, and I don't want to upset them so much that they decide to spite me. This also has me now thinking of registering any future litters with limited registration instead of full... Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I don't think there is much you can do. The dog is now theirs and they have the right to breed her as they see fit, as frustrating as that is.
If she does not carry the dilute gene, I'd think they'd not want to breed her to the charcoal stud?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think any of their dogs have the dilute gene, to be honest. I'm wondering if they've actually done any research whatsoever on the color or if they just saw one for a good price and decided to jump on it. But then, I've seen all this stuff regarding "improvement bred", and that's what worries me. All it would take is one litter from a DD and dd, and then breeding those Dd pups to a dd to have my dog's names in that pedigree forever.

·
Registered
513 Posts
There's not much we can do once the pup has been sold. My vet advised me to get my chocolate stud dog tested for the dilute gene and submit the results to OFA even though we both knew he would come back clear of the gene. This is a way to go on public record such that should his name show up in a dilute's pedigree sometime in the future it could be proven that he did not contribute the dilute gene. I will be testing and posting the d-locus data on OFA for all my dogs for that reason. Further, she recommended that I request a 5-generation pedigree, picture, and d-locus test results prior to agreeing to any breeding to my dog.

The OFA submission form can be found at http://www.offa.org/pdf/dnaapp_bw.pdf

I did a search on their database the other day, and only about 250 labs have their d-locus results listed. OFA lists dogs as either clear, carrier or affected. Clear being the DD dogs, and affected being the dd dogs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts