RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be placing an order for some bumpers/dummies but am unsure which ones to get. So like the title says, what size bumper should I buy for a 4 month old pup? Should I get multiple sizes? Also what brand? I live in the northeast so the winters get a bit cold.

David

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
DT Systems Soft Mouth Bumpers
http://www.dtsystemsdirect.com/SmallSoftMouthTrainer.aspx

These are perfect for the cold. I don't buy them from dtsystemsdirect. Check Dogs Afield or other suplier for a cheaper price.

Avery Hexabumpers are like bricks, even in warm weather.
The last Neuman and Bennets I bought were junk. Hard (all but 2) even in warm weather and broke in the Georgia cold (that's spring for you guys).

You'll want 2" for most yard drills up through TT. Then 3" for any real marking set ups. Most people will use white and orange. I also have black. The key with color is to have a color very visable from a distance (white) and not so visable from a distance (orange) when lying on the ground or in the water. Also you want the large bumpers to contrast well with the background when throwing marks. You want the dog to see the marks in the air.

My list if just starting out....
18 2" white
18 2" orange
12 3" white
12 3" orange
6 2" black
6 3" black

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I didn't have any idea how many bumpers I had. So, I counted:

2" white-12
2" orange-20
3" white-8
3" orange-6
2" black and white-5
3" black and white-4
ATB flasher (large)-4
Dokken Teal-2
Various sizes of dokken

I am sure that I have some more at the kennel but these are the ones I have at the house and in my truck. I acquired these over time.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Newman & Bennett are US made & have a large selection Website decoy1.com
Last ones I bought were as hard as bricks, several cracked in the GA cold, several valves popped out within a week, and it looked like a drunk had mated the halves together. I bought from gun dog supply.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Another plug for the Dokken Super foam dummies for young dogs.

I had to switch my pup from Puppy Canvas to the Dokken Super Foam during his teething period. Helped him out big time and was also able to do some 'Hold' work with him b/c he had no issue with those bumpers.

He's on Avery Hexabumpers now which are pretty soft too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Since the majority of the suggestions were for the Dokken ones, I wound up buying a few of the Dokken Super Dummies; 3 white and 1 orange. I also purchased a Hallmark Puppy Canvas Dummy, and a Dokken Greenwing Puppy Teal.

David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts